Default New Range - Convection Oven?

Any thoughts or personal experiences with convection ovens? We're at the beginning stages of a minor yet getting more major kitchen remodel. I have been living with a below bottom of the line range since we bought our house 9 years ago. My main goals are a time delay and glass cooktop.

I've become fascinated by the free standing double ovens. I get confused at the point when I need to decide about paying for a convection oven or not? I will say I'm going for the double oven because I love the idea of the speed for heating the smaller oven. Most of what I do involves a single 9x13 pan. The main time I use all of my oven is to make cookies.

I got a convection oven last summer and, frankly, I still haven't quite figured out what the advantage is. I've used it to bake several times now and things don't get brown on top...

My mom recently got a Kitchen Aid range with a glass top, convection oven, and many other fancy features. I think she's been pretty satisfied with it so far, if you want to consider something that high end.

And the kitchen reno is expensive and annoying, but OH so wonderful when it's done!
    Jessica

Convections are great for things like cooking a turkey or a roast but terrible for baking. I don't know why but its something to do with the air around the rising baked goods that isn't good. That's why most convection ovens have a turn off switch for the convection feature. If you are cooking a casserole etc they will cut the cooking time down.
    HTHs
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

kcimato is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I used my convection oven once and haven't used it since.

Our microwave doubles as a convection oven... I honestly don't see any advantage to it... unless the range oven is being used, then it is nice having a second oven (especially around the holidays).... but I don't think i've used it in years.

KHF is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a Frigidaire range that has a convection feature. I've used it once right after I got the oven, and haven't since. I should probably investigate it further...might just be laziness on my part :-) My oven has a second oven in the drawer, not just a warmer, but it goes to like 450 degrees. That has been a godsend at the holidays and when we have people over. I would look for that feature again over the convection if I was buying again.

Kirsten

We bought a house with a Kitchenaid oven/convection combo. After two years, I have yet to use the convection feature. Part of the reason is I have no idea how to use it, and I haven't come across a convection oven recipe book. I think it is supposed to make cooking faster-- but I could be wrong.
    DD #1 5/05
    DD #2 11/07

We have GE 'dual fuel' range that is gas on top with gas oven and optional electric convection oven feature.

I do use it, though not regularly - usually when I'm in a hurry - and it does make a difference. I can't say that it's a make or break thing, but it's nice to have.

Honestly, if it's just to bake cookies, it's not going to help. And be careful with 'small', the last thing you want to have happen is to be in the middle of preparing dinner for a party of 10 and realise you can't get your roasting pan in the oven. I REALLY wish I spent the extra money to have a slightly wider oven to accommodate two 1/2 sheet pans/roasters/saute pans side by side. It make things much easier (I cook a LOT).

(Oh, and I know that you said that you really don't use the oven for anything other than cookies, but remember that any future prospective buyer of your house may do more than that. It's definitely something I would hate having to deal with in a new house.)

HTH

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04