Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Kids sharing a room question

We have 2 rooms for the 2 kids right now. We have a room, and the "extra" stores our office and my home business stuff. We plan on keeping the baby in our room for a while and then figure we'd figure out which 2 kids would share a room.

Well, lately, DS has asked for DD to sleep in his room with him. He normally comes into our room between midnight and 3 am and says he would sleep all night in his room in DD was there, too.

DS has never been a great sleeper. DD is a wonderful sleeper - 7:15 to 7 regularly. I would love for DS to sleep better, but I don't want to mess DD up.

Right now, they both go to bed between 7 and 7:30, so we could easily do them together most nights and alter the story reading place on the other nights. It would require moving the crib to DS's room, which of course is a pain.

Should we try it? Are we just asking for trouble?
    Kris

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Since DS is specifically requesting it, why not try it. If DD is a good sleeper, it might not phase her in the least. I am assuming they would have separate beds, so even if DS tossed and turned, DD wouldn't feel it and probably wouldn't wake up. The odds that DS will sleep better with DD who sleeps through the night are better than with DC#3 who will wake up just because he/she is an infant. So it would seem DS and DC#3 are not going to be good roomies. Let 'em try it for a few nights. If it doesn't work out, they can go back. JM2Cs

we just moved our two together about 3 weeks ago and it has been a hit. Bedtime was never really an issue for us, but now when we turn out the lights for bedtime, both kids are eager to get to bed...so they can play and giggle for a while. So, the downside is it takes both kids much longer to settle down and sleep, but we actually love to hear them having fun together - one is in a crib, the other the lower half of a bunk bed (the oldest too young to sleep on top yet) on opposite sides of the room where they can see each other.
    At first, I considered getting a screen so they couldn't see each other and hopefully sleep sooner (sometimes it takes up to an hour before the fall asleep) but they have so much fun I can't bear to do it.
    And, both kids are better sleepers since they've been together - less wake ups in the middle of the night by far.
    I can't remember how old yours are, but we have a 3.5 and a 1.5 sleeping together, so they are really old enough to enjoy it.
    We also had to put them together because we're expecting #3 in about 2 months; when we brought up the subject to our oldest, there was a lot of excitement and cheering for it!

Okay, we're trying it! I spent a good hour moving the crib. It's a bit of pain to begin with and with 2 kids helping...not good!

Both seem really excited, so I hope it works. I'd love it if sleep improved.

newbiemom, my kids are almost 4 and 20 months, so about the same as yours.
    Kris

Smile Perfect Timing for your question!

I just came online to ask essentially the same question. We have two bedrooms and baby number 3 is coming in July. DS is 4y3mos and DD is 26 months old. I have been worried about this for some time and hate the idea of DD losing her own room. I've been trying to think of it from the kiddos point of view (rather than my own desires) and think that they will probably love it. DH and I asked them actually tonight and both seemed very excited about the prospect. They both go to bed between 7-7:30 and are pretty good sleepers. DD is a better sleeper but DS says he would sleep better if she was there (he often comes into our room around 3am). Your posts make be feel much better!!
    Loving life with my three!

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had planned to put DS1 and DS2 in together. But then DS1 got a low bunk bed (the KURA from IKEA) and DD wanted to sleep on the bottom. So now they share a room and DS2 is in DD's crib in the other room. I hadn't planned to move DD out of her crib until she was closer to 3-y/o, but she was ready and stayed a good sleeper even after the switch. I plan to switch DD into her own room and DS2 into DS1's room at some point, but since they are all sleeping well at this point, I don't know when that will happen.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by mom to little e
    I just came online to ask essentially the same question. We have two bedrooms and baby number 3 is coming in July. DS is 4y3mos and DD is 26 months old. I have been worried about this for some time and hate the idea of DD losing her own room. I've been trying to think of it from the kiddos point of view (rather than my own desires) and think that they will probably love it. DH and I asked them actually tonight and both seemed very excited about the prospect. They both go to bed between 7-7:30 and are pretty good sleepers. DD is a better sleeper but DS says he would sleep better if she was there (he often comes into our room around 3am). Your posts make be feel much better!!
    There must be something about the age. I asked a friend and her son, who is 4, has recently said he wants his DD, who is 1, to sleep in his room now!

So far so good - DD went to bed first as she was super tired. DS was about 20 minutes later. We did stories elsewhere and he went in and climbed in bed. Usually, he wants us to stay and "keep him company" until he falls asleep. Not tonight. Haven't heard from him yet. DD did wake looking for a pacifier and DS slept through that.

Hopefully, I'll have more good news in the AM!
    Kris

It was not a good night! But, I think it was just DD's untypical type of night or something. Every now and then, she's just wide awake in the middle of the night and that was last night. Hopefully, tonight will be better.

I need to get a new nightlight. That could have been part of the problem - DS has a 25W bulb that he has on and DD slept in the complete dark.
    Kris

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I hope it gets better for you!
    My two have shared a room for the last year, so from 4 and 2 until now. Previously they had their own rooms. We moved and our house has 2 bedrooms. Theirs is the whole upstairs (with a 1/2 bath) so they have plenty of space, but it's still only one room. For the most part they don't bother one another at all at night, even though DD1 often gets up at night. Sometimes there is silliness at bedtime but they generally go right to bed. The only time they wake one another up is in the morning - I think one or the other of them would often sleep later if it weren't for the other one getting up.

It may take a few nights to adjust, but now that you've got DD in there it's worth a try, especially since you have #3 on the way. Good luck .
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

schuyler and dylan share a room. the started sharing when dylan was 4 or 5 months old and schuyler was 2. dylan woke schuyler up at 5am and i just couldn't take it anymore. so we separated them when dylan was about a year old. but i couldn't stand being in the downstairs room at the very front of the house. so we moved back up and put them back together. i think we did it maybe about 9 months ago? we put a twin and a full in the room and immediately found them in the full together. after a few nights of arguing about the twin, we just moved the twin out. so they sleep together in a full bed every night. it is THEIR choice and they love it.

the ONLY problem we have is that dylan wakes schuyler up in the morning too early. sometimes as early as 5am. more often 6 or 6:30am. dylan wants to play with him. but it doesn't seem like it matters where they sleep, dylan IS going to find schuyler when he wakes up no matter what. when DH was out of town recently, i put dylan in bed with me hoping he would sleep longer. he stayed in bed about 1/2 hour longer, but the SECOND he woke up, he asked, "where's schuyler????" and went straight back into their room to find him and wake him up.

so i am not sure the two rooms would really help this early am situation anyway. same thing happened over christmas when we put them in separate rooms at my mom and dad's house. dylan woke up, cried for his brother and then set off to find him and wake him up.

clearly, they are best friends. that is why i had them so close together(22months) and i got lucky that my dream came true!! (my dream of having best buddies, that is! )
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast