Default Computer or Software for 3yo

We are looking for a keyboard overlay or good software for DD1 who will be 3 in May. I think the One Step Ahead and FP ones are too easy for her. I am open to software suggestions too.

I like the LeapFrog systems, but I'd prefer it not have to be hooked up to the TV. DD2 & DD3 would be all over DD1 when she is trying to use it!

TIA!
    Sarah

DD1 5/05 Evenflo HBB
    DD2 4/07 FF Britax Roundabout
    DD3 4/07 FF Safety 1st Uptown
    DD4 6/10 RF Britax RA50

DD really liked the Dora computer games at that age. DS is 2 1/2 & is beginning to be able to understand them too. We especially liked the Backpack Adventure one. We also have Jumpstart Toddler for that age, but I don't think it's as good, JMO.
    Kim

We don't have anything special for DD (3 1/4) - we let her use our laptop, and go to free sites like starfall.com and pbskids.org. We did buy a "travel" mouse that fits her hand better than a standard sized one, but she's also perfectly fine using the trackpad and the keyboard that's on the laptop. One thing we did do was set up her own profile that has very restricted access, a larger mouse pointer, and slower mouse motion, so she doesn't get frustrated or accidentally start deleting files. We have macs, I have no idea how easy that would be to do on a PC...

We also have the Dr. Seuss alphabet game (exact name escapes me at the moment) but that's not as exciting to DD as the online games.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD has been using the computer since she was 3. We never got a special keyboard, although I thought about it several times just didn't want to pay that much. We did get a smaller mouse for her to use, just to make it easier. I would start out letting her try the games at nickjr.com. Some are easier than others you just have to try a few. DD is now 4 and she can pretty much navigate the internet by herself. She has about 5 game websites in the favorite places that she can go to and play by herself. She goes to pbskids.org, noggin, nickjr, epets. We have bought computer games for her, we have Dora Carnival, a Diego one, and a Jumpstart, she plays them occasionally but not much, she beat the Dora and Diego games in one day so it wasn't that fun for her after. Whats great about the online sites is they are always updating and adding new games.

CiderLogan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My now-4-yo loved computer games starting around her 3rd birthday. We got a free one from a local supermarket chain (Publix) that, for some reason, has always been her favorite. But in general we just use the online games like those at pbskids, nickjr, the Thomas the train site, etc. They are free and fun.
    ~J, happy mom of two girls, ages 5 and 8

Our 4yo son has just been using our computer for the last year or so. We use the websites others have suggested - pbs, sesame street, starfall, playhouse disney

The other source I've used a lot lately is our library. They have a ton of software that can be checked out for 3 weeks (same as books). It varies wildly for how easy or difficult it is for DS to navigate himself, but we've found some real winners there. A good one he'll play 10-15 minutes a day almost every day for 3 weeks. But by then he's done with it. I can't imagine paying retail to "own" any of the games we've checked out. A couple we've gotten more than once - Little People airport and an Elmo bugs one.

We got DS an old iMac ($50) for his own computer, and he can use a regular mouse and keyboard just fine. My sister gave me all her kids' old software, and DS is really digging the Freddie Fish games. They have lots of sub-games and Easter egg things that make them very intuitive for a kid his age. He also uses noggin.com and pbskids.org pretty often.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan