toby is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default 3 yr old drooling (x-posted with BB Lounge)

3 year old DS still drools a lot. Our ped is not worried about it and says that if it is still happening at 4 yrs +, then he can have occupational therapy to remind him to close his mouth and swallow.

He doesn't have allergies, his nose is not plugged, he has never gagged on food, doesn't seem to have oral fixation and is completely normal developmentally.

I worry and worry even though the pediatrician said not to...and just wanted to post to find out if anyone else out there has gone through a similar experience. Thanks!

My son was a huge drooler and at 2 years we asked our pediatrician about it. She sent us to have neck x-rays done to check his adenoids. The x-rays showed that his adenoids were enlarged and when we took him to an ENT, he said his tonsils were as well. Once my son had a T&A, the drooling gradually stopped. We hadn't realized how bad my son's adenoids were until after the surgery. He really couldn't breath through his nose at all and would frequently get sinus type infections with a goopy nose. He also snored at night. He drooled so much because he was having to hang his mouth open to breath. If your son gets infections, snores or seems to have trouble breathing through his nose, you might want to take him to an ENT.