Default Most compact rear-facing car seat?

I have twins on the way and I bought a Graco safeseat and tried installing it (on side seat of a 2005 Honda Civic) and found that when installed rear-facing, it was HUGE... way too deep. I would have to move the driver's seat all the way up in order for the safeseat to install in the back on the base.

I was wondering if the Snugride would fit less deep, or if anyone knows what is the most compact (depth wise) rear facing infant car seat when installed with the base (as compared to the safesea), and how much less deeper would it be in comparison?

THanks

Oh my, when I answered your other post I had no idea you had a Civic, too (twilight zone music starts playing....)

But I'm just not seeing the SS1 really being THAT big in a Civic...??? The handle can be left up, so that helps... was the seat tightly installed? That's an extra inch of space, too. The Snugride might be a bit smaller front-to-back, but not much, it's maybe only an inch shorter than the SS1. Chicco Key Fit might be a little shorter, but again not much. Here's the top of the KF next to the SS1, I lined them up as well as I could... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag...70310828113938 really, not much shorter... might be 'enough' though, you might just have to go to Babies R Us and try a couple seats to see if one works better?
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

I compared a Safeseat to two Snugrides at BRU, and found that the release button on the two Snugrides was farther down the back of the carseat. SInce I had the front passenger seat back to the point of touching the car seat, that low release button actually made it HARDER to un-do the Snugride. I think it took up less room, but the point was moot for me because of the location of the release button.

Some of the Safeseats have a big red recline dial on the front, and the seat seems like it takes even more room the more reclined it is. Double check that the seat is not reclined at all, although I suspect it wasn't in the first place.

I have a 2004 Baby Trend Latch Loc car seat and it's a bit smaller than the two Gracos (but you're supposed to put the handle down when driving, which then eats up that extra space.) It also has a release button in the front of the seat (by baby's feet if they are rear-facing), so you don't have to force your hand between the carseat and front passenger/driver sheet.

We had a 1993 MAzda Protege when DD1 was born, not a big car at all, and the front passenger was always a bit uncomfortably far forward the whole time DD1 was rear-facing. But it wasn't a disaster either. It's probably harder with twins, since the driver gets affected too. I hope you find a solution!
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have the Safeseat and have installed it in our 2001 Mazda Protege (but without the base). The more reclined the seat, the larger the footprint, so see if you can install it a bit more upright (while keeping it within the safety zone on the level indicator). Also, make sure the base is in as tight as possible (try using the seatbelt rather than LATCH if that makes a difference - it makes a big difference in my Sienna). I have never found the SS to be that much bigger than anything else on the market, but it will last a lot longer! The thing is that whatever car I drive, I find the RF convertible seat seems like it takes up more room than any infant seat, so the longer you can use the infant seat the better (since you can install the RF convertible really upright at that point).

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Do you have the handle upright? IIRC, that seat can be used with the handle upright, that helps make the footprint smaller.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011