Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Baby Bjorn, Ergo or Ellaroo Mei Hip for a not-so strong back?

Hi,
    I have the Peanut shell for my 10 week old baby and she HATES it. She likes to be held in a somewhat upright position - in fact most times she will fall asleep only if I hold her up against my chest and let her put her head on my shoulder ( and this is a baby that mostly never sleeps!). So I was considering the Baby Bjorn Active. But so many moms seem to love the Ergo and also the Ellaroo Mei Hip so I need some advice please. She is already 12 pounds and my back and shoulders are not really all that toned so so I need to get something that will allow me to handle the weight as she gets bigger.
    NYC Mom

Thumbs up Ergo Carrier ROCKS

I felt so liberated with this carrier! My DD did not like the sling, and the Bjorn killed my back after she was 4 months old. My DD LOVES the Ergo and will easily nap in it and it gives me some hands free time to get things done. She loves being next to my heart and you can even nurse in it! I love the hood to support her head when she is sleeping, to provide shade or shield her from the wind, and it also provides privacy when she wants to nap or nurse. The zipper pocket in front is handy for money, credit cards or binkies and I love the option to wear this carrier three ways. I will buy it for everyone I know! It is truly my favorite baby gadget! A MUST HAVE!!!

I too have a not great back (and a very heavy DS!)
    I bought an ergo used first and then this week a babyhawk (mei tai) used

I recommend buying used carriers to cut the cost

I have heard nothing but great things about the comfort of the ergo but most people agree with me that it is pretty tough to nurse in it (?) I think mei tais are supposed to be easier to nurse in

I love both of these types of carriers .. is there a way you could try them out before you buy?

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

most people recommend the ergo for bad backs. you can use the hip belt to place more of the weight onto your hips. however in my case, the ergo hurt my back more. (i have disc problems.)
    i was fortunate enough to try it at a local store where a sales associates are really knowledgeable and helpful. the woman helping me worked with me allowing me to try several different types of carriers with my baby. with the ergo she helped me adjust and re-adjust until we decided that it just wouldn't work for me.
    i suggest that you try to find a local store that carries a variety of carriers and allows you to try them on with your baby and walk around the store for awhile.

avoid anything that places the baby's weight on one side (like hip carriers) -- these are really bad for your back.

i love my bjorn. it doesn't aggravate my back at all. many people complain that the bjorn hurts their shoulders. i don't have that problem. after i put the baby in, i tighten the straps as much as possible while holding the baby up as high as possible. that way there isn't any pulling on my shoulders (or strain on my back) and i can comfortably carry my nearly 20 lb baby.

hth

Try a wrap! You can position them in lots of different ways, and carry your baby in different positions as well.

Try a beco! Or really, any soft structured carrier with a hip belt.

Try a chunei! Super comfy, the weight is distributed like a wrap, but without all the fabric.

For me, bjorns were horrible.

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Whatever you do, do NOT get a Bjorn! I didn't have back problems until DS1 was about a year old, but wearing him in the Bjorn really gave me a backache. When DS2 was born, a year after the back problems kicked into high gear (and I couldn't recover while pg), I couldn't use the Bjorn at all. I tried once, and I couldn't even stand up, it was so painful.

I got a used Ergo about 3 months ago, and I love it - I can front or back carry my 1.5yo with no problems at all. DS2 also hated the pouch and sling I had...and they were hard on my back, too.
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Default ERGO! Or have you thought about the Pikkolo?

First off, have you tried the tummy-to-tummy carry with your Peanut Shell? You should still be able to hold your dd in an upright position in the Peanut Shell, if that is what she prefers.

If that doesn't work, I definitely recommend the ERGO, although your dd may be a little young to use it without the insert. You might also look at the Pikkolo or Beco, since they can be used from birth and on into toddlerhood, and can also be used as back carriers. And Pikkolo can be a hip carrier as well.

Let us know what you decide!
    Laurel
    Owner, Carry Me Away
    Mama to Jack, 5 and Maddy, 3

i have the pikkolo... it's probably one of the few versatile carriers out there. front carry facing in, front carry facing out, hip carry and backpack carry. my daughter loves it! she likes to nap in it and it has never given me any back pains! i have a really really bad back (lordosis). pregnancy was horrible for me. anyway, you should try out the carriers in order to give yourself a better view of what fits your body better. i tried out the ergo but it somehow didn't feel right to me. my friends who have both the ergo and pikkolo said they prefer the pikkolo better.