Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need advice on what carrier to choose

I have a 16 lb 9 weeker who is outgrowing the Bjorn. He will NOT tolerate the buddha position so I can't put him in my sling or a mei tai (yet). I am looking for a front carrier that allows the legs to hang down (like in a Bjorn) but will work for a newborn. Any ideas?

Stacy

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Did you try adjusting the strap on the Bjorn to make it roomier? We have an Active, so I'm just assuming the regular model works the same way. I think our 6 month old is 16 lbs

ETA- oops, he's now 7 mos old today!

He still fits fine, but my back is killing me after an hour or so! This happened with DS #1, but he tolerated a sling fine.

Stacy

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Did you try an Active? It's comfortable for us and our neighbors bought one after trying ours. They sold their regular one on CL and said it gave them more back support. Then again, I don't wear them longer than an hour, typically.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea...

Where the Army sends us...today it's Washington

My 10 week old is 14 pounds and I the Jeep Carrier and it works marvelously! It's super comfortable and airy for baby, plus it carries baby both inwards and out. Only $30 some.
    -Lauren

DS 3/08
    DD 3/09

Default Ergo Baby Carrier

I have the Ergo Baby Carrier. If you don't mind spending a little more money ($90) www.ErgoBabycarrier.com, this is a great product. I have an 11 month old DD and she has been using it since a 3 weeks old. It has an infant insert that allows you to have the child in a sling like position without the discomfort of the sling configuration. Then you can remove insert and use on front with child facing you. It is a soft carrier so is very comfortable. It can also be used as a back carrier. Is good for up to 40 lbs. on back (like carrying piggyback with free arms)! You can also use on hip. Great product. Also has great built in back support and hip support so baby's weight is shifted from your back. My DD loves to be carried and always seems to fall asleep.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you decide to go with the Ergo, My Favorite Baby Carrier has a 90 day trial peroid and they have some returned carriers that are sold at a discount.
    http://www.myfavoritebabycarrier.com/used.html
    I haven't used them yet, but I am pretty sure I have come across good reviews of them on this site.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If your baby likes facing out, the Ergo doesn't allow that, FYI.

Default Pikkolo!

The Pikkolo is another great option - can be used with a newborn on up to toddler and does front, hip and back carries. It is cinchable, so can be used for forward-facing carry and let's baby's legs hang down but is still ergonomically correct and doesn't dangle from the crotch.
    Laurel
    Owner, Carry Me Away
    Mama to Jack, 5 and Maddy, 3

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ergo. Very comfy. By buddah position, you mean with his legs scrunched up to his tummy, correct? You can get the infant insert for the Ergo and his legs don't need to be scrunched like in a sling or pouch.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast