Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What to do with expired medications?

I know you're not suppost to put them down the drain, throw in trash, etc. What are you suppost to do with expired medications (liquid & pills)? Will all/any pharmacies take them or do I have to call around to find one?

TIA-
    Momma to 2 DS

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is flushing them a bad thing? That's what we do. Ack, I had never thought of it as causing problems considering the normal use of a toilet.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    Is flushing them a bad thing? That's what we do. Ack, I had never thought of it as causing problems considering the normal use of a toilet.
    I believe there have been recent studies about waste water containing high levels of prescription drugs, and the effect it's been having on fish and other lifeforms. But I'd like to know the answer because I don't know what to do with them either!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Expired meds are to be taken back to your pharmacy. Most pharmacies are now taking the drugs back since we are not to flush them. They either run drives when you can take the meds back or you can just take them back at any time. Blacken out your personal info, leave them in the correct bottle and return to the pharmacy. The pharmacy then sees that they are incinerated. Hope this helps.

Also recently read to crush up pills, mix with water, and then mix it with cat litter. Then tie in a trash bag and throw away. Sort of labor intensive though.