Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Honda Pilot or Odyssey??

We need to get a new car and we have always had really good luck with Hondas and Acuras so have decided to stick to that family. Since the Acura SUV is out of my budgetary range, we are deciding between the Honda Pilot or the Odyssey.

I currently have a Honda CRV, but DH really wants to get something that can seat 7 or 8 people.

I've never seen myself as a minivan person, but I'm starting to come around on that... I really like both vehicles and both have their pros and cons so I'm having trouble deciding.

Anyone have any opinions?

Also to owners of these cars, what kind of gas mileage are you actually getting?

Thanks!!
    DS1 1/05
    DS2 5/08

Oak is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

If you can afford it and the gas, go w/ the Odyssey. Check out the Hyundai as well.

I love the Odyssey! The sliding doors are SO convenient with kids (especially with the controls on your remote!)
    I also liked the Pilot but the third row is very small and very difficult to get kids into it if they were in a carseat.
    I love the trunk space on the Ody, even with the 3rd row up. With the 3rd row folded into the floor we can fit an amazing amount of stuff.
    Gas milage is not really as good as honda claims...I think we average around 15-20 mpg, driving mostly in town.

Valerie

we went with the Pilot (and i LOVE it), but if there's any chance you'll be growing your family again or if you think you will need the 3rd row seating on a pretty regular basis, I would go with the Odyssey. I'd also check and see what the LATCH positions are in each...I know in my Pilot (which is a 2004) ther are only two lower anchor positions wich is limiting for us....HTH!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I went from a CRV to an Odyssey & I LOVE it!
    I am a devoted Honda driver (before my CRV I had a CRX & a Civic).
    I was one who said NEVER will I drive a minivan. But, here I am.
    I love the sliding doors!!!!!!

annasmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have both - my dh drives the Pilot, I drive the Odyssey.

Both would be great cars for 2 kids. However, the Odyssey (or minivans in general) does have some features that are just so nice. The sliding doors are a great help getting the kids in and out of the car. I hate how regular doors block your view and access - especially in parking lots. This will come into play when you are trying to get one child into the car, while keeping an eye on the other. It is also really nice in bad weather to be able to get everyone in the car, jump in yourself, and then take care of carseats and buckles.

Also, a minivan is lower to the ground so it is much easier for the kids to get into the car by themselves. It is also much easier to get one of those humungo double strollers into the back of the car.

The Pilot does not have room for a double stroller in the back unless you recline the third row. I my Odyssey, I can fit nicely my 3 kids, my double stroller, my single stroller, and an entire load of groceries.

GL!
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Ody gas mileage is better

I have a Pilot and my mom just an Ody in November, has yet to drive it. However, I've put all the miles so far on the Ody.

If you don't need the 4WD of the Pilot, go w/ the Ody - the new ones have the engine that shuts a few cylinders down at highway speeds. I love the sliding doors for DS, the DVD system etc.

I do prefer the height/stance on the road of my Pilot though and prefer the Pilot for the winter/snow.

Also in terms of seating, it's MUCH easier to utilize all 7/8 seats in the Odyssey than the Pilot - and if you have 8 in the Pilot the back row leg space is nil and the space behind the 3rd row is pretty small. I rarely use the 3rd row of the Pilot - and now that DS is in a regent, behind the passenger seat, i can't flip the 60% middle seat forward! I do need to move his seat.

In town mileage is about the same though.

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sliding doors rock. Minivans rock with kids.

I drive an 07 Ody and have never checked my gas mileage. I do go 6,000+ miles between oil changes with their little maintenance minder system.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Former "I'll never drive a minivan" person. Now an Ody owner. Love, love, love it!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Like some of the previous posters, I've had experience with both of those cars. We had a Pilot for 4 years and now have had an Odyssey for exactly one year. If you want a car that will easily seat more people, go for the Odyssey.

I agree with what everyone has said so far. Pros of the Odyssey: the sliding doors are a big plus, there is much more cargo space (even with the 3rd row up), there is just more interior space (I can get into the car and buckle the kids in - which comes in handy if the weather is bad since I'm buckling 2 kids). If you have carseats installed in the Pilot, getting to the 3rd row would be impossible since you can't fold the seat forward. At least with our Odyssey, we can just remove the middle seat to allow easy access into the 3rd row.
    Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast