Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Cribs that Convert to TWIN - why is this so hard?

I would like to purchase a crib that converts into a TWIN bed. The solution to "buy an inexpensive / less quality crib now and then buy a quality twin bed later" does not work for me. There are TONS of cribs that convert to full size beds, so why are there almost zero choices to convert to twin size??? Am I the ONLY person who would prefer (not because of money or space) that my child sleep, eventually, in a TWIN size bed during his/her grade school years rather than a full size bed? Am I just TOTALLY out of it??? I grew up in a twin bed as did my husband. Is that just sooooooo WRONG nowadays? Am I only going to be a good parent if my child sleeps in a full/double bed??? It certainly feels this way!! Am I ranting? Should I move this post to another message board?

Anyway, does anyone know of quality cribs that convert to twin beds, other than Natart? I just want a nice, simple, white crib (I'm willing to spend $$$) that will convert to a nice twin bed...nothing fancy, but quality...why is this so hard??? Thanks for your help. I am so frustrated...can't sleep...nesting instinct and I can't seem to find any straw or grass

The size of a crib doesn't lend itself to converting to a twin.

Have you thought about finding a quality crib that is used? It's within my comfort zone so I thought I'd suggest it. You could then buy the quality twin when you're ready for it.

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

The back, long edge of the crib will become the headboard. We have ours on a twin mattress right now and it looks pretty goofy (we modified it because we needed something temporarily).

We bought matching vintage twin beds at a garage sale for $50 and painted them white. Now, I wish we hadn't stressed so much about buying a convertible crib!
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

A friend of mine who also wanted a crib that converts to a twin got a Natart crib. It was the only one she could find. Is there a reason you don't want that brand?

I agree with you about moving a child into a twin bid rather than a full. We used a standard crib. When DS moved into a twin bed, we found a nice headboard at a furniture clearance center and attached it to a regular mattress frame.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

We have a "minicrib" that converts to a twin. It's the DaVinci Emily and it's very pretty.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

At least you're realizing this ahead of time...I had a cute affordable convertible crib for DD...we used it as a toddler bed for about a year (DD stayed in the crib until 3 1/2)...then I found the quilt and bedding I wanted...a PBK quilt on ebay....MIL bought the mattress set etc...FIL goes to put it all together...ummmm..DUH...it converts to a full and I've bought all TWIN stuff!!!!!!!! I guess I am the only one who didn't know this...so we sold her crib and found an old headboard of my DH's and sanded it and painted it white to match her furniture which is nice to say that "it belonged to daddy". I'm now prepared when DS is ready he will get a FULL mattress...his room can better fit one anyone...DD's room is small so her twin fits just perfectly!

The long side of a crib is around the same size as a full or double size mattress which is 54" wide. There just aren't any measurements that are similar to a twin size bed. IMO, convertable cribs look like just that when they are converted to a bed anyway. Good luck finding something that works for you!

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think that most of them convert to a full, to be used in a guest bedroom, not to be used by the child. At least, that is my take on it, since we have been in continuous crib transfer mode for the past 6+ years. When one kid was done with it, another needed it (we even had to buy a 2nd crib because we had 2 kids that needed cribs simultaneously), so there was no point in having a convertible crib. By the 3rd kid, I could have used the "convertibility" of a crib, but after 3 kids, I am SO done with it! I will gladly give it away the second DD is out of it, LOL. If I were to have only 1 kid, I might have appreciated the convertible crib models, but I think otherwise the convertible cribs are over-rated. Buy a sturdy crib (currently we have an IKEA Gulilver crib for DD). Re-assess the bed needs when your DC is out of the crib.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AlisonJ
    The long side of a crib is around the same size as a full or double size mattress which is 54" wide. There just aren't any measurements that are similar to a twin size bed.
    For the Natart cribs that convert to twin beds, you use the end pieces (rather than the sides) and rotate them 90 degress to become the head and foot boards of the twin bed.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I really appreciate it. It looks like Natart and DaVinci are the only choices for cribs that convert-to-twin. Between the two companies, I found 4 different models (of course, none of which I love). So, it looks like I am throwing-in-the-towel on this one and will buy a nice, solid crib that doesn't convert and, when the time comes, I will purchase a twin bed.

...Actually, I will purchase two twin beds -- did I mention this before -- that I am expecting TWO babies in October!!! First time Mom here! We are so excited and scared (in a good way)!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast