Thread: Ikea cribs

Default Ikea cribs

Just wondering if anyone has one likes it/hates it..... such a huge price difference and it would be great to save some money on something we'll only have a couple of years.
    Thanks

If my parents hadn't bought us a crib as a gift, we would have gotten the IKEA Gulliver crib (the white one). I don't think it would last through multiple kids, but at 79 bucks, it fit the tight budget nicely.

We just got the Gulliver crib, but haven't set it up yet. We looked at it in the store, and it seems very sturdy and solid. It does not have drop sides, but overall the crib itself is lower, and we're tall (5'9") so it's not a problem for us. It does convert into a toddler bed later, which we weren't really looking for but is a nice option. We're also going to "pimp it out" like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pimp-your-IKEA-crib/

But with a different color scheme (chocolate) and no word on the side. We might even add casters to it, haven't decided yet. The locking kind, of course.

Way I figured, I didn't want to spend hundreds on a crib that the baby may or may not spend a lot of time in. I'd rather save money now and upgrade later if we want to, than to spend all that money now and not use it enough to justify it.

Hope that helps!

I got an IKEA crib for my son who turned one year in March. It's great! I recommend them especially if you want to save some money. Yes, they are basic but they are very sturdy and get the job done! I got the DIKTAD style (which was being closed out and on sale for $89!!!) but the LEKSVIK model is still available and almost exactly the same.

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We bought the Gulliver crib for DD because DS2 still used his crib when she was born. Now that DS2 is out of the crib, I thought we would use his for DD but we like the Gulilver one so much that it is the one being used and the more expensive crib is sitting unassembled in the storage room!? It is sturdy, it looks nice (we also bought the Hemnes dresser in white as a change table) and it serves our needs well. DD is tall enough now that we have it on the lowest setting, but even though I am short (5'4"), I can still put her into it with no problem, even without a drop rail.

2 thumbs up!

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Just a quick caution - do take advantage of the Ikea.com inventory availability feature! At our local Ikea, and at many of them in the US, ALL crib models are sold out. The staff here tells us they're not expecting to get more in stock until July, and there is no waiting list or similar. It will be first come, first served, when they are back in stock. I don't think that all crib models are sold out at all US Ikea locations, but they are at quite a few. (Ours did have plenty of the other children's pieces, though - changing tables and such.) And correspondingly, the secondhand Ikea crib market (on Craigslist, etc.) is pretty hopping around here.

This might not be a problem for you, but I wanted to chime in just in case it saves you a headache and/or a fruitless trek to the store.

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I bought the old model SNIGLAR crib in 2004 and love it! It's easy to put together, easy to take down, is comfortable and sturdy and pretty. It also has a slightly smaller footprint than my Sorelle crib. I almost wish I had listened to all those people who told me not to buy a fancy crib and just get a $100 IKEA one.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss