Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default When did pinatas get pull-strings???

Went to Party City to pick up stuff for Kai's upcoming 5th birthday party. He really wants a pinata (which he alternately calls either a fiesta or a funata - he just can't remember pinata!) So, we've got our pinata picked out and I read the tags on it, and it says it's a pull-string pinata. Each child should pull a string until it opens. I'm thinking kids are not going to be too excited about this.

Can we still bash the heck out of this kind and do it the old-fashioned way? (I'm wondering if the regular ones are built a certain way to allow for it breaking a certain way, which might be different on this type of pinata? I'm sure I'm over-thinking this as usual.)
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The beauty of the pull string ones is that you can reuse the pinata. Oh, and no one gets whacked accidentally and kids can actually open them. I have not been to a party where preschoolers have successfully opened a bashing pinata w/o a grown-ups' help. I admit, the pull string ones are a bit boring...but calm and orderly. ETA_ and the kids get excited about the contents regardless of how they come out!

You can just bash this one, I bet. The pull string stuff is just a kit and even if it is not they are made the same way and will open with a stick too.

Beth

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

we bought a spiderman pull string one for DDs party last month that said you could do both.
    Of course I let DD pull the first string at her party and by her magic spidey sense she pulled the right string first go, so that was a bit of a bust as it was all over and no-one else had a turn. They were soon distracted by the candy though!

Lucy DD 3/03

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can definitely bash them. I've always seen the pull strings used as a back up measure for when the kids can't break the pinata. You let them take as many turns bashing it as you can stand and go the pull string route.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd bash.

The strings skeeve me out. Particularly on the Dora pinata I saw at TRU not too long ago. Just guess where the strings sprouted from...
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Btw, we tucked the magic string up for the 1st round and dh covertly undiid it for round2.

Bet

giavila is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We did the pull string pinata for DD's 3rd birthday (my family has always used the kind you bash) and the kids were not excited about it at all. Of course when it finally opened and all the treats came falling out they were super excited. My vote is to do a round of bashing and then have them pull the strings. You can use those pinatas either way.

Default re:

We went to a party where they had the bash type pinata. DS1 didn't get a turn before it was busted open so there were tears from him and some other kids. I think the pull string type is good if everyone pulls their string at one time. Then no one knows who actually opened the pinata and they all get a turn.
    Kim

~~ Harrison 4/04 & Davis 5/07 ~~

Puddy73 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by psophia17
    The strings skeeve me out. Particularly on the Dora pinata I saw at TRU not too long ago. Just guess where the strings sprouted from...
    THAT is creepy. Most of the ones that I've found around here are the old-fashioned "bash" kind. Our last two required a well-placed whack by an adult because the kids got bored when they were unable to crack them open after a few rounds.
    Jennifer
    Mommy to a big girl and a little girl with a sweet boy in the middle (and always missing our sweet baby boy #2, stillborn 7/12)

"The work of today is the history of tomorrow and we are its makers." Juliette Gordon Low

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Even though it has always been pretty scary to see all the kids rush in for the candy while the blindfolded kid is still swinging away at the pinata, the fact that they have the pull strings one is kind of depressing! It reminds me of those stories how kids can't play tag at some schools now because they might fall and get hurt.
    Ask me what I think when my kid is old enough to do a pinata though. I suppose I will be all for the string kind.
    DD
    DS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast