Default Sunscreen sensitivity?

ARGH.
    I could cry.
    DD1 has always been sensitive to sunscreen. We found that banana baby no tears was was that worked well for her. A few weeks ago they did not have any in the store so I bought another banana baby sunscreen, which caused her face to get red and swollen, and the rest of her body to break out in a rash. So I didn't use that again.
    Now we have been been using our stand-by of bb no tears for a couple of weeks with no incident- until yesterday. I applied it as usual, we went out shopping, and by the time we got home her face was starting to get red bumps. I washed her face off as best I could. This morning her cheeks and around the eyes are once again pink and puffy. She looks like she has the start of two black eyes.
    I plan on making an appointment with the dermatologist when the office opens but I expect that I will have to wait a few days at least, at which point she may not even have the rash anymore.
    Obviously I need to switch sunscreens AGAIN. Is her sensitivity to ingredients expanding? I feel so bad for her, and I am disappointed because bb was working so well for us. DD2 still uses it with no problems.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

sounds like it. Might try something like just zinc on her (physical blocker no chemical absorbed). Or wait for the doc appt.
    SORRY!
    /hillary

KHF is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My daughter is super-sensitive to sunscreens as well. We went through about 10 different products (including the Banana Boat one you used) before we found a couple of products that work for us. The one I like the most for everyday use is Eucerin Sensitive Facial Skin Moisture Lotion, SPF 30, Extra Protective. It's not a "baby" product, but pretty much all of the Eucerin/Aquaphor products have served us well, so I gave it a try and we love it.

The more traditional sunscreen we'd use if going to a pool or something like that is California Baby No Fragrance SPF 30+ Sunscreen Lotion. We have also used it with no breakouts.

Kirsten

momma_boo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I can see how frustrating it is for you. Have you tried Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock? My older dd used to get a rash from all the regular sunblocks (coppertone babies, etc) and this one didn't bother her at all.
    Esther

2 March girls (2003 and 2005)

Alicia, there is a skincare board on Makeupalley.com where the women really know about sunscreen, they are very helpful and really know all the ingredients that are likely to cause sensitivity.

calv is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

we've had bad luck/experience w/sunblocks as well but love and have had zero issues w/blue lizzard. Expensive but we love it!