Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Actually, they have had the pull string ones forever. These are the kind that most people use to have at birthday parties when I was growing up, and I am 37.

I think it is funny that most are so freaked out by the strings! I myself find the thought of kids bashing a donkey, dora or other character or animal, with a stick, kind of freaky! But then again, I am pretty anti-pinata...

Funny story, the first time DD1 saw one of the donkey ones at a party, she went up and hugged it and petted it when her turn came up. She must have been around 2, and it was so cute!

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kijip
    We are doing a bash in one for our upcoming June celebration. It was hard to find since pull strings were everywhere. You can still bash it in. We are not going to blindfold the kids as they are still at an age where balls need to be on Ts to be batted at. They will have lots of fun not blindfolded (have seen it done this way a lot.) While it takes a few turns each, I have seen 3-6 year olds bash in a pinata. Toby made the deadly blow at the last party, part of why he is so dead set on having one I think.
    I've been to a few parties w/ pull string pinatas and really, the kids are just as excited about those than getting to bash the thing in. At 5 & below (can't speak for older kids), it's all about the candy anyway!

That said, what happened to making a pinata? I made one for DS1's party this year. They're really easy to make -- all you need is flour, hot water, strips of paper and a balloon. The kids had a hard time bashing it in, however. Each kid took two turns (3 swipes) w/ a bat and they still couldn't get it open. I eventually had to rip it -- there were tears anyway because there wasn't enough candy for a few kids (from their perspective).
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by C99
    That said, what happened to making a pinata? I made one for DS1's party this year. They're really easy to make -- all you need is flour, hot water, strips of paper and a balloon.

Thought about it, but don't think I have time. We'll see.

To others who mentioned reservations about pinatas, yeah, I'm not so into it either, but unfortunately it is the only thing DS has asked for regarding his birthday. And he has _zero_ violent tendencies, so it's pretty weird that he wants one. DS2 is already more violent than he ever has been, at 11 months old.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Someone must have come up with the idea of the pull strings after watching the Steve Martin movie Parenthood where he has to take a saw to the pinata to get it open! I'm cracking up just thinking about that scene.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Puddy73 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by psophia17
    The strings skeeve me out. Particularly on the Dora pinata I saw at TRU not too long ago. Just guess where the strings sprouted from...
    THAT is creepy. Most of the ones that I've found around here are the old-fashioned "bash" kind. Our last two required a well-placed whack by an adult because the kids got bored when they were unable to crack them open after a few rounds.
    Jennifer
    Mommy to a big girl and a little girl with a sweet boy in the middle (and always missing our sweet baby boy #2, stillborn 7/12)

"The work of today is the history of tomorrow and we are its makers." Juliette Gordon Low

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2