Default Kijip I did a whole chicken!

And it was yummy. All day in the crockpot with garlic powder and herbs de provence sprinkled on it. Next time I've got to add an onion. It was plenty for the 3 of us and I have lots of left overs to make a casserole for tonight and probably some after that. Plus I made broth and froze it. Thanks for the motivation, I felt so domestic and frugal, love it!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yummy! Glad it worked well for you.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you take the skin off? I ask because the one time I did a whole chicken in the crock pot, the skin, which we did not eat, got kind of nasty and not browned and made the liquid really greasy. I just did not care for the texture, which was disappointing, because I would love to be able to do this often. Any suggestions anyone?
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

no I left it on, but skinned it as I carved it and then once I made the broth I put it in the fridge overnight and skimmed the fat off of it. I didn't do anything to the juice the origional night (ie didn't make a gravy or anything). I will say that I am very un-picky about my meats.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks, Margaret. It sounds like I just need to try it again...I wonder if I had too much liquid in there when I did it the first time. I appreciate your help!
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

I haven't told anyone this yet, but last time i cooked a whole chicken.... I cooked it upside down by accident... D'oh!! the meat was soo juicy, but the crunchy skin that entices DS to eat the chicken first was muuush!! won't make that mistake again LOL!!!
    Holly~Attached mama to Aiden, my happy Pirate & Lillian, my spirited Mermaid fairy
    Cancer survivor!!!! No Evidence of Disease, now and forever!!!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kochh2
    I haven't told anyone this yet, but last time i cooked a whole chicken.... I cooked it upside down by accident... D'oh!! the meat was soo juicy, but the crunchy skin that entices DS to eat the chicken first was muuush!! won't make that mistake again LOL!!!
    You can cook a chicken or a duck or a turkey with the breast down (ie upside down) and then turn it over for the the final part of the cooking time to crisp/brown the skin. I don't often do this with chicken because it cooks pretty fast and does not have a huge issue with drying out IME. BUT I ALWAYS cook turkey this way- the turkey breast gets too dry IMO if I don't. My dad cooks duck that way but I say, I want that fat dripping OFF the bird and not into the breast cause it is not like duck has a shortage of fat! I'm impressed- my son won't touch skin on chicken with a 10 foot pole if I paid him, even if it is deep fried.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Quote Originally Posted by boolady
    Thanks, Margaret. It sounds like I just need to try it again...I wonder if I had too much liquid in there when I did it the first time. I appreciate your help!
    I used no water at all
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kochh2

I always roast my turkeys upside down, flipping them over for the last 30 min.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011