Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Peanut Allergy: Safe baked goods for classroom?

DS is celebrating his fourth birthday in a few weeks, and I want to bring a snack to preschool that he can enjoy with his friends. One of the children has a peanut allergy, and I'm having a hard time coming up with any baked goods (donuts, muffins, etc.) that would be safe to serve. Making something from scratch is not an option, as the school has rules against that.

Any suggestions would be a big help!

TIA...

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

have you checked Entenmann's? or the organic section of your grocery store, there must be cookies or something that would work. maybe fruit cups?

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

In Canada, Quaker makes some granola bars that are peanut free and individually labelled as such (not all of their flavors are peanut free). Not sure if you have those in the US or not. I've heard Nutrigrain bars are peanut free, but not 100% sure on that.

Dare also makes peanut free products, though their selection in the US appears to be far more limited than in Canada: http://www.darefoods.com/usa-en/nutr...ee/index.shtml
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Entenmann's Little Bites snacks are a good compromise and readily available. The Little Bites Brownies taste fine, and are nut-free when we've gotten them. Please check the allergen label on each box and don't take my word for it. Allergen contamination happens all the time, and the box labeling should be the checked firsthand.

Individually packaged plain Rice Krispie Treats. I sent them in for my DD's birthday with a little bow on each one so everyone could "open" it.

ETA Check the box to be absolutely sure. I got this idea from a mom of a student in my class who had a life threatening peanut allergy. WHenever we celebrated a birthday he had his own stash of these rice krispie treats so he could enjoy the celebration too. When I sent them in for my dd (who is allergic to peanuts) they were okayed by the daycare.
    Last edited by overcome; 06-27-2008 at 02:18 PM.
    Ashley

DD 10/2005

lablover is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Some other suggestions, although they aren't baked goods, are oreos, fudge stripe cookies, jello gelatin or pudding cups or popsicles.
    Mom to:
    DS - 2003
    DD - 2006

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the ideas so far.

I *wish* Dare sold Bear Paws in the U.S. I'd buy a case! DH is from Montreal, so we always enjoy those when we visit.

As much as I love Rice Krispie Treats -- DS doesn't. I love the idea of putting a bow on each bar, but I know he wouldn't be into them.

Will look at Entenmann's and all your other great suggestions! And I will read the labels closely...

Christine

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Entenmann donut holes were the preferred "bring in for birthday party" snack when Sarah was at the JCC preschool.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would just ask the mom what brand is safe...she will appreciate it and it will take the guesswork out it for you (our preschool did away with having parents bring in snacks for birthdays just because of this issue- it made it easier on the parents too as the birthday child got to have a special day, they picked the snack for the day, they shared their Birthday Pennant that they'd made and we were free to do a favor or not (most chose not like me)...when DD was having her 5th birthday party at home one of her classmates has multiple alllergies..I asked if there were candies she could eat as we were having a pinata...there were and I only bought those...the mom was so happy that I called (her DD couldn't have any cake....I even asked if a bakery in town made any cakes she could have but she has allergies to eggs and so many other things her mom just sends along a snack to parties....and her parent always stay with her epipen...)

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

convenience food for allergies can be expensive. Enjoy life brand has several cookies, but there's like 10 in a box for $4. The snickerdoodles are really good. If it's just peanuts you have to avoid, maybe something like rice krispies? I know you said baking isn't an option, but the receipe for applesauce cake is really good and so easy. I make it into minimuffins.

ETA: something about snacks/baked goods...Just be careful when you're reading the label that it not only doesn't contain peanuts, but that it doesn't say "may contain traces of peanuts or made on equip with peanuts." I think 10% of items that say this actually have some peanuts. That's why I don't give any candy bars at all, b/c most are made on the same equip as other candybars with peanuts. I have give nutrigrain bars with no problem to DS as they don't have those warnings, although other generic brands of cereal bars often say "made on shared equip"
    Last edited by DrSally; 06-27-2008 at 06:48 PM.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast