Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Valco vs. Baby Jogger

I've decided to purchase two strollers. One will be used for car errands and travel. The other will be used for neighborhood walks. I'm debating between Valco and Baby Jogger for both. Any input is appreciated.

CAR STROLLER
    Baby Jogger City Mini vs. Valco Latitude

BJCM pros: Great one-handed fold; Great canopy; Front suspension
    BJCM cons: Tippy; Accessories sold separately; Small storage basket

Latitude pros: Great styling; Great storage basket; Adjustable handlebar; Very stable
    Latitude cons: No suspension that I know of; Two-handed fold (but still very easy)

WALKING STROLLER (I will be storing this stroller folded)
    Baby Jogger City Series Elite vs. Valco Trimode

BJCSE pros: Great one-handed fold; Great canopy
    BJCM cons: Tippy; Accessories sold separately; Small storage basket; Less attractive styling

Trimode pros: Great styling; Great storage basket and storage pouches; Very stable
    Trimode cons: Bulkier when folded

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Can I vote for none of the above?

My fave car stroller is my P3 -- its my go-to stroller. Not tippy, nice and plush for newborn, takes a car seat (I don't use it that way), AWESOME canopy, nice upright seatback, toddler step is totally useful with 2 kids, etc..

For a newborn, my favorite all-terrain stroller is the MBUS. It has a nicer, fuller recline than the BJCS (I have the double) or the BOB Revolution. For an older child (around 2+), I prefer the BOB, but from newborn and up, I vote for the MBUS. Plus, the BJ fold, while nice to fold, is bulky to store. I prefer the flat fold of the MBUS. I don't like the fold of the BOB either, again, its a bulky fold.

I would vote for a P3 + MBUS to start (or even just the P3 -- you don't get out as much as you'd think with a newborn, LOL). Maybe add a lightweight like a Volo once the baby is older, 12m+.

HTH
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Thanks. I tried out the P3 but didn't love it. I really like the Inglesina Zippy but my feet hit the wheels.

The MBUS is too expensive if I'm going to buy two strollers. Also, the sun canopy is really important to me and it looks like most people buy a separate sun shade for the Mountain Buggy. I have the Chicco Keyfit 30 and the sun shade on that is inadequate so I know how much it will bother me.

MY DS is three months old and I've been using a Snap N Go until now. It works really well for car errands but it has absolutely no suspension so it's terrible for neighborhood walks.

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think the newer Baby Joggers recline as much if not more than the MBUS - from what I could see when we were next to one at stroller class. We have the City Elite Double, and it is fantastic! Mine is totally not tippy as you listed, but we have the double with 4 wheels. Did you find this when you were trying it out? I'm not sure if the single does it or not, but I would think it does (knowing how they fold) my BJ Elite stands on its own taking up a small amount of floor space. We have the black/black one and it is really nice. Some things that I really like about it over my Cameleon are footrests for smaller kids and the venting system you can use when the seat is reclined. You can access the storage underneath through the footrests, which is just plain handy for toys, snacks, whatever. The handlebar console has 6 pockets, and 12 on the double. I keep tissues and chapstick, handsanitizer, toys, etc. and just add my drink, cell, keys for each ride. The magnetic windows and mesh screens on the canopy are so well-designed. The adjustable handlebar is what sold DH on it. It has an amazing range.

Our lightweight single is the Mac Triumph- functional and fun w/a carry strap.

I found the City Mini to be very tippy, and the Elite to be less so. The City Mini definitely couldn't handle a diaper bag hanging on the handle. I imagine that neither will be tippy with an older child seated in the stroller.

I definitely like the adjustable handlebar. Three out of the four strollers I'm considering have that feature (all except the City Mini).

One of the reasons I'm considering Valco and Baby Jogger is that they seem to be better suited for larger/taller children. My three month old DS is the size of a six month old so, if he continues to grow at this rate, I'll definitely need a wider seat and higher canopy. My husband and I are not that tall but there's no way to know. That's one of the reasons I'm not considering the Bee for my car stroller.

for a car stroller my vote would be for a maclaren- triumph, quest or techno, depending on what you want to spend. I love the Techno XT that I have, really easy to use & has the full recline so it's great for naps while on the go.

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

FWIW Jools posted pics of her BJCM in another post. If you look at them, there is a pic of the stroller folded and standing on its own. This is what I meant by the BJCE taking up a small amount of floor space. You lower the handle a bit and fold it for it to balance (sturdily) while folded. It is really cool. Oh yeah, my 35" 2 yr old has toooons of headroom left in the BJ.

I've got the BJCCS as my neighborhood stroller and the BJ Mini as my car stroller. LOVE them both! I was using a snap n' go prior to the Mini, and the Mini is even easier to load into the car than the snap n' go (so easy, in fact, that I'll probably just get the car seat adaptor for it and use it for baby #2 instead of the snap n' go). The Mini is nice as a car stroller because it's light/compact enough for quick trips, but is also a sturdy enough stroller to take to the zoo, go on walks, etc. The sunshade is the BEST, and the recline is great too for nap. The wheelbase is a bit wide, so it's not fabulous for weaving between racks at the mall, but not terrible.
    I don't know much about the Valcos, but just wanted to give my two cents about the Baby Joggers...love them!

Oh- I also have a Mac Quest that I use for travel. I could use it as a car stroller, but just love the Mini so much, I tend not to.

Thanks for all of the input!

If the BJCM works as a car stroller and also works well enough for short walks and zoo trips, then why would I need an additional lightweight Maclaren for travel? There seem to be a lot of posts about a lightweight travel stroller but I'm not sure how that differs from a lightweight car/errands stroller.

Default latitude vs. bjcm

One thing to consider is that the seatback on the Latitude is 2.5 inches shorter than the seatback on the BJCM. Could be an issue with bigger kids....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast