Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Graco Nautilus for a 1 year old?

Ok so DD1 is currently in a Marathon (almost 3 years old). DD2 is in the Graco Safeseat (almost 1 year (24lbs, 31in)).

I just bought DD1 the Graco Nautilus for my husband's car (which of course now she wants in my car because she loves her big girl seat) and I bought DD2 a Marathon for when we turn her forward facing.

But now I'm wondering if I should sell the Marathon for DD2 and just get her a Nautilus too. Is there any reason why a Nautilus isn't good for a one year old who is forward facing (and I do know it's best to keep them rear facing as long as possible).

Is it safer to keep her in the Marathon until she's close to 3 and then get her a Nautilus type carseat?

Thanks!
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LexyLou
    But now I'm wondering if I should sell the Marathon for DD2 and just get her a Nautilus too. Is there any reason why a Nautilus isn't good for a one year old who is forward facing (and I do know it's best to keep them rear facing as long as possible).

Is it safer to keep her in the Marathon until she's close to 3 and then get her a Nautilus type carseat?

Thanks!
    You just said the main reason. Rear facing is FIVE times safer. Plus the Nautilus has a 6 year expiration on it, so she'll likely need another seat after that - you need boosters until 4' 9" or 8 years old. I like your plan to get you DD1 a Nautilus and then pass the MA on to your DD2. I also think the Nautilus isn't comfortable for sleeping kids. Apparently a lot of much bigger kids (think 4 and 5 year olds) have head bobbing issues in the Nautilus as it's very upright. At 1yo, your DD probably still sleeps a lot in the car, and a Marathon would be much more comfortable for that. I vote for the MA for sleeping comfort.

That's interesting. It actually looks like there is less head bobbing going on with my almost 3 year old in the Nautilus than in the Marathon because of that head rest. It looks really comfy.

I wonder though if the Marathon has a little more a recline even FF than the Nautilus. hmmmm...
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

Yeah, the Marathon has considerably more natural recline than the Nautilus. I would never recommend putting a kid that young in the Nautilus. Beyond the danger of forward facing, it's just too uncomfortable for them when they nap.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

lorinick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2
    Yeah, the Marathon has considerably more natural recline than the Nautilus. I would never recommend putting a kid that young in the Nautilus. Beyond the danger of forward facing, it's just too uncomfortable for them when they nap.
    I agree! I would dream of putting my son who will turn 1 on 8/2 in an booster seat. I still have Blvd. reclined. I could see not having him reclined at all. We were all talking about this Tues. night with the 7mt old in a booster. It's just to soon. Plus you have a great Marathon to pass down to her.

Quote Originally Posted by lorinick
    I agree! I would dream of putting my son who will turn 1 on 8/2 in an booster seat. I still have Blvd. reclined. I could see not having him reclined at all. We were all talking about this Tues. night with the 7mt old in a booster. It's just to soon. Plus you have a great Marathon to pass down to her.
    I would never put my 1 year old in a booster...I wouldn't even put my 3 year old in a booster but it's a 5 pt harness and Graco advertises it like it's a regular convertible carseat until you remove the 5-pt harness and make it a high back booster.

Am I missing something? Is it really considered a booster seat? Is this bad advertising on their part?

I'd hate to think people are putting their kids in seats that they aren't meant to be in. I'm confused.

For what it's worth. I already bought her her own Marathon during the big sale and I'm just moving the older one's into my hubby's car for her second seat.

I'll defintely put Sofia in her Marathon when it's time. She still fits in her safeseat and I'm not going to take her out until she maxes it out.
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

A seat that rear faces and forward faces like the Marathon is a convertible car seat.

A seat that is forward facing only with a harness and then you can remove the harness for it to be a booster, like the Nautilus, is called a combination seat.

Technically, you could put a 1 year old forward facing in a Nautilus - they have the weight/age limit ridiculously low for that seat. Would it be the safest or the most comfortable thing to do for a one year old, NO WAY.

Some seats in booster mode have a 30lb minimum weight limit, this makes many parents believe it's safe for their 2 year old 30 pounder. "The label said it's good for 30 + lbs, so it must be safe". It's not as the child is too young to sit properly in a booster (no moving around or putting seatbelt behind them etc), and unfortunately not all seats have minimum age limits. The 30lb limit is for the 6 year old girl I know that weighs 33 lbs. But thankfully her mother is keeping her in a 5-pt harness - it's much safer than a booster.

Safest practice is rear-facing as long as you can, forward facing in harness as long as you can, high back booster as long as you can and then low back booster as long as you can. Rushing through any of the steps decreases safety for the child. Unfortunately, law and requirements for car seats haven't kept up with safest practice. But if you know better, then do better is something that's often quoted. If you know it's safer, than do that.
    Last edited by niccig; 07-11-2008 at 02:55 AM.

Retailers call 'combination seats', 'boosters'...it's kind of confusing. That 7 mo actually went home in a combination seat (still stupid, but not as stupid as if the kid were in a dedicated booster, at least)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

So frustrating!!!!

It makes me mad because I wouldn't even think to put my three year old in without a 5 pt harness and now I'm pissed that it even crossed my mind to put Sofia in the nautilus at 1. GRRRR. I feel stupid BUT at the same time I'm so glad I did come here and ask.

For what it's worth, I wasn't planning on turning her FF right at one but I was thinking about 18 months, because she is so not happy RFing but I'm going to try to keep her RFing until 2.
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07