aes74 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Can my daughter go to a non-convertible booster now???

My four year old's head is now peeking above the top of her Roundabout. I am afraid it is time for something new, but I'm not sure which direction to go. She is about 29 pounds, but tall and lanky. Is it okay for us to go to a booster seat now?

Here's the thing, we are expecting a third in October, and so I am really hoping for something safe that is not too expensive, as this is our first boy to buy for...and well, you know how it goes. There is no way we can afford something that's like $250!!! Help!!!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd go with a Graco Nautilus. Its a bit cheaper than the Frontier, some people here like it better.

I'd keep her harnessed for much longer.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Minimum for a booster is 4yo and 40 lbs - so you're not there yet, and if you talk to the techs here, they all say 5 or 6 is when kids have the maturity to sit still all the time in a booster.

I'd look at the Nautilus, it harness until 65lbs and then highback booster, then low back booster - really good value. It's about $150 but people have seen it at Walmart/Target/Amazon for less than that. My friend got it at Amazon when it was $127 and applied for an Amazon card that gives discount on first purchase, so she got it for $99 and opted for super saving shipping, so she didn't pay for that either.

lorinick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray
    I'd go with a Graco Nautilus. Its a bit cheaper than the Frontier, some people here like it better.

I'd keep her harnessed for much longer.
    I totally agree. Keep her in a 5pt. as long as you can. She still so little.

aes74 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Ok, I looked up the nautilus on amazon and it looks nice, and seems to have great reviews. So this is one that has a good reputation, and is safe, and durable?

Thanks so much for your help. I will follow up on this seat. Whew!

jvs195 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just FYI the Amazon price for the Nautilus has been going back and forth from $1287 to $144 this week. I think Walmart has it for $127 online still.

LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I bought it from Walmart going through ebates. It's only a 1% discount but still it's something + the shipping is only $2.97.
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

And just for future reference, a harness is outgrown when the shoulders creep right above the top slots or the weight limit is reached..the head can and will stick way up at that point, but you don't want the tips of the ears to go over the top of the seat (that really won't happen if you stop using the harness when the shoulders are barely above the top slots, though )
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Here are some facts why a 5 point harness seat is safer than a booster seat:

* The crash forces are spread over the skeletal body over five points rather than three.

* The crash forces are spread to the strongest parts of the child's body.

* Forward head excursion (the distance the head is thrown forward) are lessened.

* The child is secured in the correct seating position rather than being able to wiggle

around, lean forward etc

In 5-point child restraints, there is also the added safety of the top tether (so long as the vehicle has this feature). The top tether or top strap (as its sometimes called) helps hold the top of the child restraint back against the vehicle. In a frontal crash at 30mph with a car seat installed properly and no top tether, there is a 32" frontal head excursion.

In the same seat, same crash, child restraint installed along with the top tether, you reduce that frontal excursion to 4-6", thus making it more likely that the child will not hit the seat in front of them.

When used correctly, 5-point harness car seats provide significant safety advantages over securing your child in a booster seat using the adult seatbelt. A child is safest in a 5 point harnessed seat. A child should remain in a 5 point harness until they outgrow it.

Here is a great link with detailed information and a video clip of a vehicle crash test video comparing a 5 pt harnessed seat vs a booster seat:

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages..._is_Safest.htm
    Kelle
    Mom to Riley (05-03)
    (She's a girl, not a boy)
    Used to sit in REGENT
    NOW SITS IN FRONTIER
    WE LOVE!!!