Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default boy vs girl jeans

Could my DS wear my DD's jeans & not look funny? Or are girl & boy 12-18 mo jeans cut differently? It's slightly bootcut from old navy.

I'm packing up old clothes that don't fit to give away, and I'm not sure if I should save these jeans for DS to wear.

I have never paid attention to what little boys wear....actually even today, I don't pay much attention (though i should).

thanks.
    dd 4/06
    ds 11/07

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think it's easier for DD to wear DS's jeans than vice versa. Girls jeans tend to be cut different (which makes them NOT fit my DD!). Plus, I don't think boys wear boot cut style. I'd put them in the donate pile.
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (2002) and Catherine (2003)

"The challenge of parenting isn't shaping your kids to be what you want, it's shaping yourself to be what your kids need." - Wellyes

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Girl's jeans tend to be slightly bootcut or embellished. If they are simple straight leg (think Levis) you could probably do it. That said, somehow I haven't saved any of dd's jeans for ds.

Boys don't usually wear bootcut jeans. If they're a straight cut, I'd put them on both but finding that isn't easy. I've passed on boy overalls that dd wore but no jeans.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I bought jeans, overalls, and khakis on sale from Hanna for DD to wear this winter and to pass down to DS. DH says they don't look quite right, but whatever. He keeps saying something about compromising the gender identity of both of our kids by doing this. Blah blah blah. Poor girl has boyish pants, shorts, shirts,pajamas, socks and training underwear. Shoes are next.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I do this with pjs, socks, Hanna tnecks, tshirts, whatever I can get away with! I tried getting unisex rash guards, but looks like LE is the place to get them. I couldn't find unisex coverups anywhere!! ugh

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow
    Blah blah blah. Poor girl has boyish pants, shorts, shirts,pajamas, socks and training underwear. Shoes are next.

DH says they don't look quite right, but whatever. He keeps saying something about compromising the gender identity of both of our kids by doing this. Blah blah blah. Poor girl has boyish pants, shorts, shirts,pajamas, socks and training underwear. Shoes are next.
    LOL. My kids have both worn much opposite gender(IMO gender neutral) clothes. I'll only do it if it doesn't look "off". I do agree with your DH but won't see it as an issue until age 5 or 6? I'll cross that bridge eventually but DD is 4 and I can still get away with it so I do.

I put one of DD's bikini bottoms on DS yesterday for some pool time(it was all I had and we were home). I really agree with your DH in that instance. DS is 2yo and no one saw us so not an issue, IMO. I'm sure my DH wouldn't have agreed.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Wife_and_mommy
    LOL. My kids have both worn much opposite gender(IMO gender neutral) clothes. I'll only do it if it doesn't look "off". I do agree with your DH but won't see it as an issue until age 5 or 6? I'll cross that bridge eventually but DD is 4 and I can still get away with it so I do.

I put one of DD's bikini bottoms on DS yesterday for some pool time(it was all I had and we were home). I really agree with your DH in that instance. DS is 2yo and no one saw us so not an issue, IMO. I'm sure my DH wouldn't have agreed.
    Ok, so our nephew(7-8?), who is the only boy dancing in his troupe(sp) of 100, went skiing this year. ALL his garb was handed down from big sister- pink from head to toe. I'm sad they didn't/couldn't take/send pictures because of it. He mentioned being humiliated, but the parents made him just suck it up and enjoy the day. I will never go that far.

Ok, so our nephew(7-8?), who is the only boy dancing in his troupe(sp) of 100, went skiing this year. ALL his garb was handed down from big sister- pink from head to toe. I'm sad they didn't/couldn't take/send pictures because of it. He mentioned being humiliated, but the parents made him just suck it up and enjoy the day. I will never go that far.
    That is wrong in more ways than one. I would never go that far either.
    --Moses Maimonides

Any advice on picking clothes that don't look off on the younger boy sibling that both siblings can wear?
    or do you just give up on the idea of sharing & just buy for each kid?

I saved some yellow & orange stripped onsies (supposed to be gender neutral) that DD wore & tried it on DS, and for some reason, i thought it looked kinda feminine. I tried it w/ yellow & white as well. I find DD can wear neutral stuff, but when DS does, it looks femine. okay, i must add that there's a real big possibility that it's all in my head b/c i associate that item w/ DD so when the DS wears it, i just think of her. i dunno. i never actually went out w/ these clothes b/c of how i felt.

am i doomed to just blue?
    dd 4/06
    ds 11/07

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast