Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How old was your dc when he/she handled a rolling carry-on for the plane?

Is 3 too young? I think dd would get a kick out of wheeling her own little bag/suitcase (filled with fun activities to keep her busy on the plane, of course) through the airport. Any recommendations on which one to get? I think LLB or LE makes a rolling duffel, but I need to check if it's compact enough. I appreciate your thoughts/recommendations!

I don't know, but at 2.5 DS loves to push his stroller on walks through the neighborhood. I certainly think he could handle a little rolling bag. I'd just make sure it's small enough that I could carry it or piggyback it on to my bag just in case.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS has been doing it since 2 - but he's obsessed with wheels and would play with our carry-on bag. Get them a small bag, and practice at home.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My K teaching experience makes me shy away from trying this. Little ones with wheeled backpacks can be kinda messy, and being in lines with a bunch of travelers who aren't always patient and happy go lucky gives me pause. A small backpack, on the back, I'd do, but I'm not ready to do wheels.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I should add - DS only pulls his backpack once through security. Until then, he's strapped in the stroller. He can then walk to the gate pulling the bag and holding onto DH's hand. And as the PP mentioned, be careful of other travellers not seeing them. We've never had a problem as DH is right there.

shishamo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default I will wait till 4

Any earlier, you would end up wheeling it. Also, if you pack it too much it gets harder to wheel. I tried at age 2 and again age 3 (just turned) and it didn't work for us.

Also, kids tend to *forget* the bag/suitcase when they see interesting things, so you need to keep an eye on it. Not so easy!

We have PB kids backpack with wheels, and we had them for the past three years. MY kids are age 8,6, and almost 4.

Quote Originally Posted by anothermom
    Is 3 too young? I think dd would get a kick out of wheeling her own little bag/suitcase (filled with fun activities to keep her busy on the plane, of course) through the airport. Any recommendations on which one to get? I think LLB or LE makes a rolling duffel, but I need to check if it's compact enough. I appreciate your thoughts/recommendations!
    Mom to three kids

deannanb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

we traveled in March and DS (3.25 then) was in the stroller and his backpack was in the basket. We did have to change planes - but it was much easier for me to be in charge of it rather than reminding DS that he had to walk with us and keep the bag moving.
    Deanna
    my three sons
    8/95, 10/04 and 6/08

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'd wait. Not because she can't handle it, but because airport travelers aren't always the most patient or careful. At that age, I think that kids do best in a stroller or carrier in the airport (unless you find a small, relatively quiet area to let them loose). And this is coming from someone who has traveled as both a business traveler and as a parent.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We started at 3. We had a PBK backpack that rolled. Onlookers thought it was cute--that the backpack was as big as DS! It was kind of a pain at the airport b/c he couldn't always handle and yet insisted on doing it himself. We could always carry it is a backpack so that sometimes gave us another option. It was great for the trip itself b/c I let DS choose and pack his own toys/books for the trip, and then they are easily available for the trip in his own bag.
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

DD had one right after she turned 3 to take to WDW. I don't remember if it was the Dora backpack one or a princess one. She did fine with the roller. I guess it depends on your child.
    Karin & Katie Oct. 2002

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast