g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How do I get candle wax off a whole load of dishes?

I'm so PO'ed right now! I opened my dishwasher this morning and there is this strange gray splotchy coating all over the dishes and silverware. I wonder what on earth it could be, but just run it again. Open it, it's still there. My 7yo ds walks by and wonders what I'm looking at and says, "I wonder if it has anything to do with that birthday candle I put in there yesterday." HUH???

He says he set a candle in the dishwasher to see what would happen. I scrubbed one bowl for 5 minutes and still can't get it all off. Any suggestions?

This is the same ds whom I walked in on the other day cutting his new shirt with scissors. He thought it looked "cool." (I deducted $10 from his piggy bank to pay for it.) And the same ds who left a library book out on the swingset last week before it rained and so now that has to be paid for, too.

I'm going to SCREAM!!
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd try popping them into the freezer (one at a time if you don't have the room) and then scraping the wax off. I know i've read about doing this for votive holders, etc.

You might want to start with just one plate in case your plate cracks in the cold freezer (I don't want you to be mad at me). If these are valuable to you, maybe skip trying that altogether.

I'm sorry you are stuck cleaning up a mess.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Uh-oh. At first I thought it was a load of clothes. I agree, try popping the dishes in the freezer and see if it peels off. Also, goo be gone has worked on candle wax on carpet for me, if there's any residue left.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

OK, not cheap these days, and it has a definite ick-factor, but a quick dunk or wipe with gasoline will cut right through it, no scraping or scrubbing needed. Obviously, you'll want to wash them like crazy afterward. If you try it, wear gloves, work outdoors, avoid sparks and flames and dispose of the gasoline, rags and gloves appropriately (no duh, but still worth a reminder).

ETA: And don't use it on plastic items!

luvmypeanut is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Maybe soak them in a tub of Simple Green? I do that with my crystal candle sticks and the wax comes right off.
    DD 4/03
    DS 2/05

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Kristen.

Sounds like your DS may have taught my DS a few things...we're dealing with Vaseline and Poop over here...sorry no advice just sympathy...I've got an open bottle of wine open here though....

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Beth - I am so sorry you're dealing with nasty stuff. Yuk. Some kids just seem to do this stuff. When he was 2 and just transitioning from a crib to a bed, he squirted a whole tube of toothpaste all over his carpet.

Turns out it was a black crayon, not a candle. I kept pressing him to see how a yellow candle made everything grayish and he finally said it was a crayon. Somehow a candle seemed more innocent?? And that he was picking it up after being asked to put it away but the dishwasher was a quick and easy hiding place, easier than the crayon box. Ay-yi-yi, this kid makes me tired.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Why does this post have that eerie "this is your future" feel to it for me?

If the freezer didn't work, you can also try the microwave (if they are microwave safe. When you heat up the wax, it will be easier to work with. Be careful- it'll get really hot quickly. Alternatively, fill up the sink with super hot water and put a dish in it to soak for a while, then try to peel it off.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10