Default Tips for stoping nail biting in 3 year old

My 3 year old has been biting her nails for the last couple of months and it is driving me crazy! Any suggestions for helping a 3 year old stop? I saw something at Walgreens called Thum for nail biting and thumb sucking, but the first ingredient is cayenne pepper and it says will burn eyes if they rub their eyes, so I definitely don't want to try that. Any suggestions for other products or anything that is more natural?

I cannot address your question, but for what it is worth, nothing worked with me. I am 41 and still an embarrassed nail biter. On my own (and with tons of motivation) I can stop for a few weeks, but I always NEED to lose the battle. I am very ashamed of it, but I think it is what keeps me sane. It is my outlet, I think. There is something deep down that makes me do it.

My mom (and I, when I was grown) tried *everything*. Most things just made me even more ashamed that I was a nail biter, and added stress, which may have made me bite my nails more.

Anyway, I am more okay with it now, because it helps me get out stress and be the great mom I want to be. But I still am very embarrassed and wish I had discovered another way when I was 3. But I was only 3...

I think whatever approach you use, please make sure to use only compassion (I know you will!) and understand that she is not doing it to drive you mad. She has an inner drive that she likely doesn't understand, and which confuses her too.

I hope this helps at all?
    Hugs,
    Barbie
    Last edited by BarbieSmith; 07-15-2008 at 09:38 AM.