Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Severe constipation question- DS *Update*

Well, he's still just laying around and all he's tried to eat/drink today is about an ounce of prune juice and now he's nibbling on some toast. He vomited again, so I don't know what's going on. We're off to the doctors in an hour, so I'll update again when we find out what's going on.

DS hasn't had a BM since Friday. Today he is just laying on the ground in a fetal position. He won't eat, he won't play. He's just miserable! I went to get him up to try to eat and he started dry heaving. There's nothing in his tummy, so it was just mucousy stuff. He hasn't moved since.

I called the doctor and they want to see him this afternoon to make sure he's not impacted. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? I feel so bad for him, but I don't know what to do!

Thanks!
    Last edited by LarsMal; 07-15-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That sounds awful! I am relieved that you can get him in to see the doctor.

Do you have any glycerin suppositories? If not, you may want to call the pediatrician to discuss.

For preventative treatment, with DS, we fed him prune baby food almost daily until he was about 4.5 to help him with his constipation, which helped keep things in check. At 8, he still has some issues with constipation, but not nearly as severe. You can also mix some prune juice in with other beverages. I hope you can get some relief soon for your DS.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Will he sit in a warm bath? That has helped DS in the past. Plus it will distract him for a while. Maybe while he's in there, you can get some juice in him? Or a popsicle? Any type of fluid would probably be good.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What have you tried?

I had one that would get constipated alot.

Pears/ pear juice ( knudsen makes good organic pear juice) AS MUCH as he wants

If that didnt work we went to Pear/prune again as much as he wanted

NEXT was glycerine suppository not fun but.....

NEXT was pediatric enema

FINALLY... we went with miralax as a last resort

Once he does go for the next month or so give 1 -2 oz of prune juice daily ( mix it with other juice) he helps keep him going soft and regular
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Just spoke to the ped about my 9 yo's constipation and he suggested Pedia-lax (by Fleet). It comes in many forms, one of which is those quick disolve strips. My dd can take 2 strips, but it looks like 2-6 yo can take 1 strip. It's a Senna laxative. I know different peds have different views of laxatives, but I thought I'd mention this one since it comes in such an easy-to-take form.

Best of luck...I hope relief comes soon!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Try having him lie on his back while you "pedal" his legs. Sometimes the movement helps get things going. At the least it should help him feel better.

Ask your doc about Miralax. It's not a quick fix, but more of a long-term solution to constipation. Your son might start withholding because of the pain and discomfort he's in. I'd want him on Miralax for a few weeks to get him back to normal.

Good luck! We dealt with years of constipation with our oldest.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I found that other thread on severe constipation after I posted mine, and I'm happy to report that my ped was pretty much in line with what everyone else said!

She did a rectal exam (poor kid was SO good!) and said he was really backed up, but it was more like playdough, not hard- so gross!

I had to give him a Fleet enema right away and BOY DID IT WORK! DS like to do his business in the corner of the dining room and when the enema kicked he looked at me and said, "I want to go downstairs." I asked him why and he said, "I want to go to my corner." So sad! So I took him downstairs and I went to go around the corner with him and he looked at me and said, "NO MOMMY!" Okay, kiddo!

Then I heard the explosion! EWWWW....I do not remember reading this chaper in the motherhood manual!

Then he asked for a snack and drink a few minutes later!

I have to give him Miralax, 1/2 cap 2x/day for 2 weeks then 1/4 cap 2x/day for 2 weeks and then we'll go from there. She said this is very common while trying to PT so some kinds need Miralax during the potty training process. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice! Looks like things are headed in the right direction. Bleh!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

With the higher dose of Miralax you may want to stay close to home for a couple of days. My poor sister with no kids, will forever have the memory of trying to clean DS in the back of the car.
    Glad you've got some relief for him.

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMal
    I found that other thread on severe constipation after I posted mine, and I'm happy to report that my ped was pretty much in line with what everyone else said!
    I'm wondering if that other thread was mine! We went through something similar a few months ago, but DD wasn't as sick as your DS. Same thing - ped said it was like clay. However, two suppositories and some help from the ped worked for us.

Just so you know...we still use Miralax regularly. It doesn't matter what I try for DD - flax oil, juices, fiber, veggies, etc., nothing works for her. She can eat a whole pile of broccoli and a bowl of blueberries and it does nothing for her. I did find that she has a much easier time going if she sits on the potty. I'd find her trying to go in her pull-up and just take her to the potty. I explained that it was easier to go sitting rather than standing. After a couple of times, she realized I was right, Now, she runs to the potty yelling "I better go poop!" She still only goes about every 2-3 days, but she goes! I prefer not to use the Miralax so regularly, but I dislike the constipation more. We don't have to use it every day now, but about every other.

Good Luck.

Whew! Good for your poor DS! I'm glad he's feeling better. I second the pp who said to stay close to home on high-dosage days, though!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast