Default Please tell me things will get better after the baby!

We are going through a supreme clingy stage with DD. I think it's pre-baby anxiety. She knows something big is coming but doesn't quite know what it means- only that her life will change in a big way. She's great at daycamp and with anyone but Mommy. When she's with me it's cling-cling-cling, holdme holdme Mommy and pull on my clothing, climb on me and most recently, hit me. I know it's her anxiety playing out and I need to remain calm & reasurring but I CANT TAKE IT anymore. Please don't tell me it gets worse after the baby comes.....
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, with Dora she was super clingy at the beginning of my pregnancy, probably a stage. Then I tried to train her to walk to and from the parking garage, but she absolutely refused, so I ended up wearing her until the day before I delivered. Then I don't know what happened, but she suddenly didn't need to be worn anymore. She did however, still occasionally want to be carried, and I totally understand the tree frog impersonation. These days she is much better about walking, and I couldn't tell you why. She's also great about being left at the church nursery, something we couldn't accomplish without tears just months ago.

However, she makes up for it by wanting only me to give her a bath and put her to bed. The only exception being if I'm not actually home. So I don't know if things will get better exactly, only that they will change. Perhaps the change will feel better for you. It certainly did for me!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It'll get better. Ok, so I only have one, but I didn't want to leave ya hanging.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

I'd give her all the snuggles you can manage while it's still only her.

DD did this too as we prepped DS's nursery a few weeks before I delivered. She had a rough go of it the first week or so as I recovered but warmed up quickly after.

Enjoy and savor these last few weeks of just one. It will never be like this again.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

megv is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

It will get better!

Our DS1 was 3 1/2 when DS2 arrived. DS1 was really quite a bear the last month of my pregnancy - very clingy, whiny, with horrible behavior. We really were at our wits end because we could not handle him, and could not even imagine what we were in store for after the baby arrived.

Much to our shock and pleasure, he was a totally different child after DS2. Even his teachers at school have commented that he is so much better after the baby.

Now, 2 1/2 mos in, he is back to a few of the listening issues, but I think that is just his age. He is really wonderful & so loving with the baby. You will love your DD in a whole new and different way when you see her interacting with the new baby! (Even is she drives you crazy the next minute!)
    DS1, DS2, DS3, and DD

jal is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I'll only say that "eventually" it gets better.

If DD is currently an only child, things in general might get a little worst, at least at first. Of 1st was not clingy, but once the 2nd was born, he became a bigger disipline problem for quite a while.