JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Any suggestions on how to help a cat get used to a new kitten?

We have an adorable new kitten! My 5 year old cat is less than thrilled. She hisses and growls at the kitten and even will do the same to me when the kitten is anywhere near. She glares at me from the corner of the room she has exhiled herself to. I actually think she is scared of the kitten. I am locking the kitten in a room when I am not here so he is safe.

Any suggestion??
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In my experiences you are doing the right thing by putting the kitten up when you aren't there. It will take a little while for the adjustment. I would give older kitty a lot of love and try and have them both in the room with you when you are home. Don't force the older cat. She will come around when she wants. Our adjustments have taken a couple of days/week. Good luck!
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Best thing you can do is put the kitten in a room and let them get to know each other by sniffing under the door (and putting a blanket that has been with the kitten out so your older cat can smell it). Take the kitten out for short periods during the day and let your older cat be the one that approaches when ready. Gradually have the kitten out of the room for longer periods of time. It is going to take a few weeks at the least, but it is very normal, cats are territorial. You don't want to let the kitten have free reign of the entire house right away - your older cat is going to see it as a huge "demotion" and invasion of her territory. That can lead to behavior problems which can lead to things like litter box issues, etc. Speaking of litter boxes, it's best to have two. Oh and use a calm voice when your older cat hisses, growls or tries to lash out at the kitten. If she senses you getting upset it can make things worse. Try to give her lots of attention.

It'll take time, but they will most likely get along and be best of friends!
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

kristenk is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Um...I can just advise you NOT to do what I did. lol

I kept the cats separated for quite a while, but the kitten ended up in my bedroom and my older cat had the rest of the house. That pretty much demoted my older cat (who was maybe 3 at the time) b/c she always slept in there with me. Not my best idea, but I was living in an apartment and didn't have too much space to deal with. During the day when I was gone, the kitten was put in the bathroom.

When I finally let the cats near each other, the kitten was clueless to the cat's hostility and extreme dislike. I was totally overprotective of the kitten so the kitten ended up upsetting the kitty hierarchy and becoming the head feline.

The kitten is now 8 years old. She's a clueless bully b/c the older cat always lets her have her way (mainly b/c of how I reacted when she tried to "discipline" the kitten). Any time the "kitten" has to go to the vet now and is away from the house, my older cat will purr and purr and purr and purr. When the "kitten" returns it's like we canceled Christmas.

Um...are you SURE you want to add a kitten to your household?! (Just joking - kinda).