Default Bedtime issues with toddler after baby arrived

Hi
    We are desperately looking for advice. Our two year old had a regular bedtime routine. Use to wake up occasionally but overall it was manageable. Ever since we brought his baby sister home, bedtime has been a nightmare. The first night he jumped out of his crib for the first time. We ended up bringing him into our bed. The second night we put pillows down by his crib. He jumped out again. We considered a crib tent but it does not work with our crib plus seemed punitive. Last night we put him to bed in our bed and he fell asleep with daddy but when daddy woke up to use the bathroom, so did our son. He was up and wandering the living room (while I was trying to breastfeed the baby). He loves his sister - lots of kisses and lots of helping with her but just does not want to sleep in his room anymore. We sleep horribly with him in our bed but I am willing to have him there if we could get him to at least fall asleep in his room. Any ideas?

Kattia

Could you just put something on the floor next to your bed and let him fall asleep there? Nothing TOO cozy, but enough so that he will sleep? I know it seems like a step backward, but it maybe it is necessary just to get through this period? Sleep deprivation is the pits for everyone. Or maybe you could move his mattress to his bedroom floor and put a gate in his doorway?

It sounds like he wants attention like the baby is getting, but could it also be food-related? Does it also seem like he is sleeping lightly as well? Is he having anything to eat prior to bedtime that might be contributing to his behavior?

Congrats on the baby! And good luck!!

HTH,
    Michele

Hi, have you tried putting a gate up? Put the new baby in your room put a gate up by your oldest doorway and if he gets out of bed he'll fall asleep eventually. He needs to learn to go to sleep by himself..my two yr old still has trouble and is difficult too. We found a gate will keep him in. He might be ready for a toddler bed...but just be presistant and don't give up. Keep on it, get him a toddler bed put the gate up..it's ok, it's not punishment it'll save your sanity...hope this helps. good luck.