elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default What would you do? (returning used breastpump)

I don't know what to do about the borrowed Medela PISA breast pump I have sitting in my closet. ( I know that some people wouldn't consider using a used one but I was ok with it.)
    My SIL (husband's brother's wife) lent it to me when she was done with it. Her DD is 4 months older than my DD, and SIL only BF for 4 months, weaning right before going back to work.
    I wasn't sure how BF would go for me so I rented a pump for the first month and then when SIL offered hers that she was just done with, it was perfect timing.
    Well, I used the thing about 3+ times a day, every single day for about 12 months. The little plug thing had to be held in by hand or by tape towards the end because it would pop out.
    DH said he would check it out to see if it could be fixed but never has, but I don't want to give it back to her unless it's in the same condition it was when I borrowed it, even if she wouldn't consider reusing it.
    So should I just tell her the situation and write her a check? For how much?
    She is not pregnant (that I know of) so it's not like she needs it back right away, but it's not right for me to just hang on to it now that I've been done with it for over 3 months.
    Should I just offer to buy her a new one for her next kid maybe?

I feel like just holding on to the pump and then just paying her is the best option, but should I give her the full new amount (Looks like it's about $250)?
    DD
    DS

I think your idea of getting her a new pump when her next child comes around it the best. Be honest w/her about it's condition. It was nice of her to lend it to you, and you should repay the kindness. HTH!
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm a little confused about which part isn't working, but you might be able to order a new part from the Medela website to fix it if that is what you choose. I know that my pump needed a new AC adaptor (plug in cord) and when I priced it, it ran about $19.
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can replace the face plates for $5-10. I dropped my pump and broke the faceplate. It took about a second to pop the old one off and put on the new one. You just have to make sure to get the right one. My pump is an older PISA so I had to look a bit harder but it was still a breeze.

Honestly, if I had lent you my pump, I'd be happy with a new faceplate and "personal bits" (tubing, horns etc). As long as it pumps, I wouldn't expect you to buy a brand new one.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Honestly, I'd offer to get her a new one if she has another child. From all I read, those pumps are techincally only supposed to be good for the length of nursing one child. My friend lent me her PY and like you, I used the heck out of it. I told her that if she had another child, I would replace it as I'd hate for it to give out on her at some crucial moment due to my use. She ultimately decided not to have another and its still going strong after baby #2, so it's held up for three kids. Still, I would have replaced it for someone else. Just my 2cents.

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Smile Which model year?

I bought my PISA in 2004. The faceplate was a problem. Medela updated it twice. THe newest one I have works great. If you call Medela with your faceplate, you can read the code on the plastic to them and they will tell you if you have an older faceplate that needs to be replaced. If that is the case I suspsect they will mail you the new faceplate, as they did for me a few years back, at no charge. Try calling Medela.
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I used my PISA with DC1 for 2 years. Now I have been using it with DC2 for over 8 months. I haven't had any problems except for the faceplate, and I think it will last for a long long time!
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

Quote Originally Posted by nupe
    I bought my PISA in 2004. The faceplate was a problem. Medela updated it twice. THe newest one I have works great. If you call Medela with your faceplate, you can read the code on the plastic to them and they will tell you if you have an older faceplate that needs to be replaced. If that is the case I suspsect they will mail you the new faceplate, as they did for me a few years back, at no charge. Try calling Medela.
    I'm so glad that you mentioned this. I have a 2004 PISA and I have been holding the plug into the face plate while pumping. I've been looking at new ones, but I really don't want to buy another if I don't have to. I'm going to call them and see if I can buy a replacement improved face plate.

Thanks!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The PIS, as I understand it, often only lasts about 1-2 children with long term, daily use with its best performance. (Sometimes more, longer for people that don't need it daily for a year each baby). When I lent mine out I never expected it back since I assumed the motor would wear out first. I certainly would replace the broken parts (call Medela) but I think that buying her a whole new $300 pump when she lent you a used one is a bit much. When I lend, I expect reasonable wear and tear (otherwise I would not lend) and I would not expect a new item unless it was obviously broken by the borrower due to their fault and not wearing out. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by kijip; 08-11-2008 at 11:30 PM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

medella might send you the part. The plastic part that holds in the tubing broke on mine and they replaced it for free and fast. I think that would be your best option, but if I had lent it to you I wouldn't be upset. But I just sold mine to a good friend for $20 (got a freestyle from my aunt).
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)