Unhappy Question about TTC & cat litter

So, DH and I have just started TTC #2. I totally was not thinking and scooped the cat box tonight. Now I am freaking out and worrying about toxoplasmosis and thinking we are totally starting out on the wrong foot.

This is a indoor-only cat we have had for about 10 years. If we were successful on our first try tonight, I don't even think conception would have happened yet. Should I be worried?

There was no issue with my first pregnancy. DH changed the cat box during the whole pregnancy. He was upset when he found out I had done it tonight and reminded me to have him do it from now on.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Cleo
    Proud Mama to DD 6/2004

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It may put you at ease to be tested for exposure. If you've already been exposed then its not an issue. If you have not already been exposed then you are not likely to if you've had your cats that long and they never go outside. You're more likely to be exposed by gardening than from your cats.

FWIW, my DH travels extensively for business, so I had no choice but to change lots and lots of cat litter through all my pregnancies.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Thanks, Beth. I figure that since we have had the cat for so long and she does not go outside I have either been exposed long ago or she does not have it. I think we have just been overanalyzing the whole process so long, it's just something specific to worry about right now.

Thanks!
    Cleo

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have always heard that the risk w/ an indoor only cat is pretty low. I know some people have spouses that travel a lot, etc. and in those cases the vet will test and if the cat is negative (and not going outside) they get the okay to change the cat box (but who wants that job anyway?? )

Don't lose sleep over it w/ an indoor only cat. You could have the cat tested if you want, but then you might get stuck changing the box regularly
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with the PP's that your risk is really low with a long time indoor cat. If you grew up with cats chances are you have already been exposed at some point in your life so the risk now is minimal also.

I, too, end up changing the cat litter most of the time, because it is just something that doesn't stay on DH's radar.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You can get yourself tested too. It is a simple blood test and will say that you either have immunity (you've been exposed in the past) or you don't. During my pg with DD I had to get tested every 2 weeks because 1) I hadn't been exposed even though I owned 2 cats, and 2) we lived in an area where it was rampant in the soil and I could have picked it up from contaminated food (this was overseas in a country with a TON of wild/stray cats, not here!!).

I do not want to alarm you unnecessarily because it sounds like your risk factors are very low, but for peace of mind if I were you I'd get either my cat or myself tested. There is a danger to the developing baby which is very real but the great news is that treatment is available if caught early.

Hope this helps,
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10