Default OS AIO for newborn??

I have a few Tiny Tush OS AIO (pocket) and size chart indicates 8 - 35 lbs. My dd is 9+ lbs (maybe close to 10). These seem like they would swamp her. I have her in a Happy Heineys fitted pocket AIO size small and that was a struggle to figure out. She has a chubby inner thigh but no bottom and very narrow hips.

Is there a brand that runs narrower for skinny bummed babies???
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

IME, a one-size AIO for a newborn is asking for trouble. An AIO in general can be hard on newborns - they really seem to need that second layer (dipe + cover) to catch any overflow newborn poop. And then to be at the bottom of the range for a one-size diaper - that's asking for leaks, too. Combine the two, and unless this diaper is some miracle, you'll be seeing a lot of leaks. That's why most people recommend skipping FuzziBunz or other pocket dipes for newborns and going the dipe + cover route for a few months or until the poop slows down or until they start solids.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Thanks, Lori ! What about a Kissaluv or Tiny Tush contour with a cover? I am having pre-fold issues.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

have you tried ot trifold a prefold in a bummis? Ive heard lots of people having issues with OS and newborns so your not the only one. You can also hit diaperswappers and pick up a few nb or small fitteds ( used) to carry you over to when the OS's fit better.
    Mutts are nice as well as swaddlebee fitteds. If you like pockets try small happy heiney & fuzzi buns.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

My DS did really well in Very Baby AIO, size xs or small, and he too has no butt. The small's are a better value because they started fitting when he was maybe 3 weeks old and are just now getting a little small at age 4 months, 13.5 pounds. My son was 50th percentile for his first three months, but seemed to fit in newborn diapers longer than most babies, so your experience may vary.

I agree that AIOs are more prone to leaks. Come to think of it, he did sometimes leak out of the Very Baby's if he was sleeping on his side in bed with me. We never had a poop leak, but he's an infrequent pooper. I have not tried them, but Thirsties AIO have gussets, which would help with leaking. I think they run a bit big.

Kisslauv FITTED diapers should work well at this age and are generally popular for newborns. Don't know Tiny Tush but it would probably work if it's a fitted. I personally don't like contours because there is no elastic in the leg, so it sometimes gaps a bit there or the diaper falls open while you are tring to get the cover on, since there is no velcro or snaps to secure it. I used a Kisslauv contour briefly and did not like it (and a Snappi does not grip the sherpa very well, as I recall, hence the fabric falling open). I aso was given some very small contoured prefolds ages ago and felt they had the same problems.

I wouldn't recommend Happy Heiny One Size for you, just in case you were considering it. I have heard they run quite big, especially in the butt. You may like one eventually, but probably not at this age.
    Last edited by american_mama; 08-30-2008 at 12:59 AM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9