K-Bear is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Potty Training Help

My DD will be 3 in a couple weeks and this week we finally began potty training in earnest.

We started off with naked training and she did great. As long as I let her roam naked, she would use the potty for pee and poop without any prompting from me. No accidents. If we lived in a nudist colony I would consider her trained.

When I put her in panties/pants, that's a different story. She has accidents and she knows she is peeing. When she is in panties/pants, as soon as she's peeing does she go over to the potty and sit.

I assume she understands how a full bladder feels only because when naked she goes to the potty without problem. It seems like she's getting confused wearing panties - thinking they can hold everything like diapers.

I've showed her diapers vs. panties vs. pants and said she cannot pee in panties or shorts, only diapers (she still wears pull-ups for naps/bedtime). But she still pees in her panties.

Help! I know she can do this - but how to make her understand she can't pee in her panties? Again - she is fine while naked.

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I posted earlier about what has worked for us the past few days. Instead of always asking DS if he needs to go potty, I ask him, "Are you still dry?". I started with asking every five minutes for the first hour, with a potty break and 10 minutes. 2nd hour was asking at 10 minutes and potty at 20, did that for 2 hours, then kept extending it. The day before I did this he pee'd in three pair of underwear in an hour. He hasn't pee'd in underwear since!

Now he will just announce to me, at random times, "Hey, Mommy, I'm still dry!"

Give it a shot. I was skeptical, but it has really worked for us.

hillview is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

With DS we took him to the potty every 15 mins on a timer for a couple of days. Now less than a month later he just goes when he needs to. No accidents etc. He just turned 3.
    Good luck!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had exactly the same thing going on a few weeks ago with my DD who turns 3 on Tuesday. I tried dragging her to the potty every 15 minutes, hour, two hours, etc. Didn't work. She just wasn't uncomfortable enough wet. I finally just let her have the accidents. I'd say a week of accidents and then she really started hating being wet and wanting to change clothes instantly. At that point, I picked up Curious George undies and we talked about keeping Curious George dry. Seems to have worked. She's dry all day with occasional accident right after nap according to daycare.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson