Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Laptop Lunchboxes -- please explain them to me

OK, I'm baffled by this product. How are they different than taking various sized plastic or glass containers in a lunchbag to work/school? The containers look awfully small too (maybe I just eat too much, LOL).

Often I throw leftovers into lunch-sized plastic or glass containers and freeze for myself and the girls for lunch. If you use the LTLB, you'd have to take the food out of the storage container and put it in the LTLB container. Seems like a waste to me.

I'm NOT being critical of those who choose to use this product, but I'm scratching my head over it....
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray
    OK, I'm baffled by this product. How are they different than taking various sized plastic or glass containers in a lunchbag to work/school? The containers look awfully small too (maybe I just eat too much, LOL).

Often I throw leftovers into lunch-sized plastic or glass containers and freeze for myself and the girls for lunch. If you use the LTLB, you'd have to take the food out of the storage container and put it in the LTLB container. Seems like a waste to me.

I'm NOT being critical of those who choose to use this product, but I'm scratching my head over it....
    I've wondered the same too. I use assorted sizes square tupperwares for my girls' lunchboxes for sandwiches, fruit, crackers, etc. And they work just fine in their nylon/zip lunchboxes.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't use it, but I think the appeal is that one, it is kind of cute (the same way that Lunchables appeal to many kids even though they are certainly not filled w/ the tastiest of entrees ). I think it can make a healthy lunch seem more appealing to a kid that notices Lunchables being popular, kwim? Sort of like a socially acceptable way to eat a healthy meal in school, LOL. The second is having a bunch of little containers means parents sometimes take a bit more time in offering a more well-rounded, child-sized meal.

At least, those are my impressions.

Eta: ITA that you can do without it. DS isn't in preschool but I often pack four small Frigovarre containers (like a small square pyrex) into his Crocodile Creek lunchbox when we go somewhere.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I like them because they all fit together; don't require any waste (baggies etc); I didn't already have a bunch of tupperware; "force" me to pack veggies, fruit and protein. No doubt you could do with out them. I think for folks who used to pack in plastic baggies they are a massive improvement; for folks who already pack low impact and have the stuff they are maybe not at all worth it. They are a heavier plastic then typical tupperware which I like and they don't need lids (as the main box has a lid) so DS can open the one thing and see his whole lunch.

I could pack myself a lunch in one and have it be enough if I packed well. I agree the size is perhaps more suited to a child.

HTH
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If we're planning an outing the following day and I'm using leftovers, they go straight from the stove into the Laptop and into the fridge - no extra storage container in between. I like the fact there are not a bunch of little lids. As a Kind. teacher, I couldn't stand having to open little baggies of prepackaged food or difficult plastic containers on a daily basis for so many kids.

The myriad of ideas available (love that Flickr show someone linked to) gives me a lot of healthy, fun ideas. The novelty of it, for me, will make me motivated to pack interesting lunches. I'm a visual person also, so the modular/presentation part of it is fun. My guess is that it is easy to see what is not in the container and the kid will KNOW that a yellow rectangle (or whatever) goes back in that spot. Ok, one more thing...I tend to like a lot of variety in my meals, so when each item was in a separate container, it was hard to get the containers puzzled into the lunchbox. BTW, I'm only packing lunch 1-2x/wk right now, so take my comments lightly. I'm not that experienced with them since we've only had them 8 mos or so.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Since there is just one big cover/lid and not individual lids for the different compartments, are there any issues with wetter ingredients? Namely, if there is something slightly saucy or wet in one compartment, will that liquid or sauce flow over to any of the other compartments if the whole laptop box is turned upside down or sideways?
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

The one box with the lid can handle wet ingredients, but the other boxes cannot. I think I read on the flicker group that someone was using the press & seal, but when I tried it on the other boxes, it didn't work for me that well.

For the original poster, the big difference is psychological I think. For us, DH uses the LLB for his lunch. Last night, we had enchilada leftovers, and in the olden days, I would have given him just that. But after I packed the 2 big boxes w/ enchiladas, I had to pack more. I dug through the fridge for veggies, I threw in some edaname beans for the other box. I know in the olden days, I wouldn't have made the effort. With the LLB, I feel compelled to fill up the last two boxes. If you're very intentional about your food groups, then I don't think it would matter on the packing end. Also, DH seems to enjoy his lunches more that it's presented well & all tidy.

BTW, when I first opened up the LLB, I was disappointed in the size and decided right away that DH won't be able to use it & it would be saved for when our kids started school b/c DH would be starving. However, I've found that after I chiffonade lettuce & make a dense salad, add another veggie, add a dense main dish (usually a type of stir fry w/ rice), and a fruit, DH's full. If all the food is dense, DH requests that I don't pack it to the top. I was reminded last night of how much green bean leftovers can be added to that seemingly little box. It's deceptive. Anyway, I didn't want you to think that it's a teeny tiny lunchbox.
    dd 4/06
    ds 11/07

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don't get the appeal either. Sarah also has issues with fine motor, so I need her to able to open her lunch and containers easily without having to ask or wait for help. I have read numerous complaints about kids, and even some adults, finding the LLB difficult to open.

I have found a system of small containers that work for us and that puzzle together in her lunch box, so it works for us.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As it turns out, *I* enjoy packing the Laptop lunchbox! lol I'm still learning how best to do everything so it takes longer to assemble but it's satisfying. I like to get creative with variety and make everything fit. And DC looks at lunch like opening a little gift box now.

The eco-friendly aspect is great though you could get that with any reusable containers. And stainless steel fork/spoon are included.

One problem with wet items was that a small piece of Press -n- Seal worked on the way to school, but because PnS doesn't stick well after the first time, when DC had leftover Mandarin oranges (with a bit of juice) by the time the lunchbox came home the inside was wet with juice throughout. Not a big deal because I just rinsed everything off.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Deleted double post

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast