bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Halloween party crisis

I've done a somewhat large Halloween party for the girls for 4 yrs now, always on the last weekend prior to Halloween.

This year, that weekend (25/26) doesn't work for us and our prior plans can't be rescheduled.

DH said to do it the week before (18/19) or after (Nov 1 or 2, Halloween is on the Friday this year).

I'm thinking Nov. 1 or 2. The Sunday afternoon would be my preference, but is 2 days after TOTg too late? I think the Oct 18/19 weekend is too early.

The other option is to cancel it for this year, though I'd rather not do that.

Thoughts?

TIA
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

1/2 is just fine. Moms who procrastinate will love it--clearance costumes and goodies!!! Kids will love it because the fun continues...

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think that the 1/2 would be good. It gives them a chance to wear the costume again.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

There are a lot of Halloween events around my city that take place all through the month of October. I like doing it in October, personally. I think of October as Halloween season. You could call it a fall festival but use Halloween type decorations on the invites and say that costumes are encouraged if it seems weird to you to call it a Halloween party so far in advance.

ETA- I think Nov. 1-2 is fine too. I just like Oct. better. But, there isn't anything horrible imo about Nov..

Beth
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 09-10-2008 at 12:33 PM.

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I think the 1/2 would be fine. Like a PP said, another chance for DCs to wear their costumes.
    Jen

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by srhs
    1/2 is just fine. Moms who procrastinate will love it--clearance costumes and goodies!!! Kids will love it because the fun continues...
    OHHHH what a great point. Get your candy on clearance on saturday and have the party on sunday!!!

We always have our Halloween party 2 weeks before Halloween. The weather's usually still warmer, it's early enough to not interfere with Halloween parades/town events, etc. Also DH's b-day is the 30th and my dad's is on Halloween and we have friends who have b-days on the 28th and 29th so we also do it early to not interfere with the b-day parties.
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks ladies -- good points re both dates. Hmmm.

I'm not too worried about it being in November -- our Thanksgiving is in October, not November, so there's no "clash" of holidays.

You've given me more to ponder.... Must make decision soon, LOL!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Last year a couple of local businesses put on an after-Halloween party. Everyone was asked to bring their "extra" candy to send to our troops overseas. The kids wore their costumes and there were lots of games. It was pretty fun and they collected a lot of candy.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong