Default WWYD- Health insurance privacy question

My direct boss recently split from my previous employer and opened his own company, so though I haven't actually changed jobs I am employed by a new company. I'm in the process of enrolling for new health insurance. On the enrollment I'm being asked about pre-existing conditions. Ok, no problem. But the next question asks if any of my dependants have taken presciption medications in the past year. If you answer yes you are supposed to provide a detailed list on a separate paper.
    What?? Do I actually have to answer that? I have no problem with the insurance company knowing, although it makes me somewhat uncomfortable that they're asking. I'm actually going onto the same insurance that I've been on, so they could technically just check their own records, although that may be a HIPAA violation.
    We don't have an official HR dept, the new company is really small. DH takes Zoloft for anxiety. I see no reason for my boss or colleague to know this info. But I feel like leaving it out would be a red flag and draw more attention to it. (I already checked that we have had prescriptions filled in the past year- who hasn't?)
    Any advice?
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It seems pretty common...DH did the same thing, our insurance really didn't change, even the same # but DH needed all my prescription info and even what a specific med was taken for...but I didn't question it and maybe should have...

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If there is any other contact information on the form itself, you could submit it directly without going through your employer. I have to handle the same forms for the small business that I work for and I hate asking people for their medical information and make a point of not reading that section. I totally understand why you would be uncomfortable with it and I always try to provide the fax number of our broker for people to send in their forms on their own.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

could you say no and then call it in?
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07