Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Charles de Gaulle-bad reviews

There are various posts online about how child unfriendly Charles de Gaulle airport is. http://www.bookcase.com/~claudia/mt/...es/000099.html
    If you can avoid going there I would recommend it. Air France on the other hand generally gets good ratings from folks traveling with DC.
    Also, if you have any problem getting your passports, contact your congressman/woman. Their staff can help you get it through the system.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lowrioh
    Air France on the other hand generally gets good ratings from folks traveling with DC.

Not from people who are wanting to purchase seats and use car seats for infants. Air France and Alitalia don't allow infants in car seats during takeoff and landing AFAIK. You have to hold the child, which defeats much of the purpose of purchasing a seat.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray
    Not from people who are wanting to purchase seats and use car seats for infants. Air France and Alitalia don't allow infants in car seats during takeoff and landing AFAIK. You have to hold the child, which defeats much of the purpose of purchasing a seat.
    I guess I should say that the reviews of the crew were good. The car seat policy of the airline does suck.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I second the USO suggestion for layovers. All the ones we've been to have a "family room" as well, which had toys, pack'n plays, changing tables, glider rockers, etc. which was very nice for longer layovers.
    Is it possible for you to take a military flight? That's something to look into as well. You might even get priority seats (reservations, instead of having to wait to see if the flight is full before getting seats that day) because I would think that due to the regulations about your husband's duty station they cover a certain number of flights there or home during his tour there. Something to look into (I'm an overseas military mama).
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You've gotten awesome suggestions here, the only thing I wanted to address was getting through security. If you can I would really invest in a two-shouldered carrier. Something like a meitai or Ergo, which buckles and is much easier. If I were travelling alone with a lot of gear a sling would be harder to manage because one shoulder/arm is a bit more hampered, and even if the sling were perfectly adjusted, I'd be a little nervous about whether my baby was securely strapped to me. A two-shouldered carrier is bombproof (sorry, is that poor choice of words?), and I would feel much more confident about managing my stuff. But I've travelled alone before and usually the TSA attendants are so nice about helping you out. Oh yes, a meitai or Ergo doesn't have metal parts that require you to take the baby out when you walk through the metal detector, a sling usually has that pair of metal rings. What I did was put the carseat diaper bag and other carry on piled in the stroller, and just pushed the stroller. If I had Dora in the stroller, I'd still have to carry stuff in addition to pushing the stroller. Practicing this at home like pp suggested is a great idea, but once you know how you want to do it, it'll be a lot easier than you fear. GL!!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2