Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

www.freecycle.org
    You need to look for the LA area group. It is usually a yahoo group that you need to join.

Costco sells boxes online. I am cautious about used boxes because if the previous person/business had an insect (read: roach) infestation, you can pick it up from the corrugated boxes. Ew.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I second the rec for liquor stores. Their boxes are strong, often have handles, and are usually a great size- you don't want too many really big ones b/c they get to heavy to haul in the house.

Just DO NOT get any that had any type of exposed food in them- like produce, or anything wet- like frozen food.

I have moved approximately a bazillion times, and I have never purchased a box, nor have I ever found any creepy crawlies-but I always stick to the above rules. My theory is a box store could have a roach infestation too! Ick!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

I just moved three months ago and could not believe how expensive boxes were in places like u-store-it and such. I moved almost everything in free beer boxes I got from Binny's (I hate to think what they neighbors must have thought!) and egg boxes from Jewel.
    Tina, mommy to:
    DS1 "D" 12-98
    DS2 "E" 12-05
    DD "G" 6-07

www.freecycle.org.

you can check for a local one by doing a browse search.

Hospitals are another great place to look. I work in the Surgery department, and I have always used medical boxes when I move. They are a good size, and heavy duty.

Default boxes

Freecycle
    Craigslist
    Local groups -- I found a bunch through my preschool mailing list. Someone had just moved and I picked up boxes from them
    Kinko's/FedEx or other copy shops-- Copy paper boxes are nice and sturdy and usually have a lid. And these places go through a bunch of paper. They usually don't mind if you take the boxes (it saves them from breaking them down) -- give them a call or just drive up behind the store and you can usually pick up several at a time.

tazzy is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

if you can't find any free ones and you're in a pinch, home depot sells boxes at better prices than the uber-expensive u-haul. on moving day, or the night before, we always find ourselves running to home depot for an extra 10 boxes or so...we always need more than we think!

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Uline

When I did my last packing on my own moving, I got some free boxes and purchased the rest from uline.com. I picked up in my car since I lived close to one of their distribution centers. Boxes were as expected, sturdy, etc.

I also purchased the tape holder tool--or it came free w/case of tape. For the next move, we had professional packers, and they must have taken my tape holder tool because it was not to be found after unpacking! Still miss it. So if you do purchase from uline, consider the tape tool.

I think it was this one.
    http://www.uline.com/BL_766/Uline-To...ape-Dispensers
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! I guess my husband put the word out at work and he came into the office this morning to find a stack of boxes on his desk! YAY!

One of my neighbors also bought boxes when they moved and she kept the ones that were in good shape.... just broke them down and put them under her bed. She was happy to pass them on!

So far we are doing ok on the boxes and I will just check Craigslist or use some of the suggestions here if we need more!

Man are we going to have one heck of a garage sale!!!! 10 years of accumulation will do that I guess!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2