Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default best place/price to buy some boxes for moving?

Curious where people get their boxes when they are moving? Some of the BOXES stores are really expensive!

Check your local craig's list. But you have to be quick I don't know about LA, but where I live (bay area), free moving boxes go very quickly. When I moved last year, I was able to snatch up a bunch of boxes from this lady within 30 min after her ad went up.
    - K

DD '05, DS '07

Craigslist is a good bet. You might want to try Freecycle too. You want to try a grocery store too. I remember going to the neighborhood grocery store when I was a kid to get some boxes for moving. If you live anywhere near Norfolk, VA I have a ton you could have

Good luck with the search!!

Try department stores (like JCPenney) - sometimes they will tell you to pick them up at the store by a certain hour before they break them down.

Also check bear/wine stores. Here we have at least one store who sticks them out front for the taking.

I'm not sure what office supply stores do with their boxes. I know at work, people often use the boxes paper reams come in - nice and sturdy!

schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We order alot of stuff from Amazon and ended up using those boxes when we moved. We were even throwing them away because we had so many and some guy who was moving into the gated apartment community that we were moving out of asked if he could have the boxes because he needed them. Check on Freecycle or Craigslist. Costco also sells moving boxes.

Our local Wal-Mart unpacks their boxes around midnight (something I learned back in college), and they said that if you come to the store around then, they wouldn't have them broken down. They were more than happy to get rid of them!

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was going to second Freecycle. I gave away mine there, clean paper and bubble wrap, too. Good luck!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Also check your local veterinary clinics. I know we can open tons of boxes a day and they only get tossed away that night.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly
    I was going to second Freecycle. I gave away mine there, clean paper and bubble wrap, too. Good luck!
    Yes, I got all kinds of wonderful professional moving boxes, clean paper, bubble wrap, even hanging wardrobe boxes, all for free!

Can someone direct me to the freecycle website? I need boxes too. Thanks.
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast