MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default IKEA Kura Bed for a Bunk Bed?

I did a search and read a few posts on using the IKEA Kura Bed as a bunk bed, with the bottom bunk being the mattress on the floor underneath the "top" bunk.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10123996

I was hoping to get more opinions on the Kura Bed as a bunk bed. DD1 will be 5 in January and DD2 will be 4 in March. Size-wise, do you think it would be safe and appropriate to use the Kura Bed as a bunk bed for them? I am very interested in getting a bunk bed (twin over twin), but I'm concerned about the top bunk safety at their age. The Kura Bed "top" bunk would be much lower than a traditional bunk bed. Would it be safe to use in such a manner even though it is considered a loft bed for one child?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks for any input!
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hey - I can't answer your actual question, but I'll just tell you our plan!
    We have twins who must share a room. We will be getting a twin over twin bunk (hand me down) before they are really old enough to go on top. I plan to either buy an official trundle to go under the bottom on or just slide a mattress under there like a trundle would go. (I don't know if the bed we are getting has a way to attach a real trundle or if I'll just have to make something up) We will use that until they are old enough to use the top bunk and keep the trundle for sleepovers.
    So that is our plan!

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2
    Hey - I can't answer your actual question, but I'll just tell you our plan!
    We have twins who must share a room. We will be getting a twin over twin bunk (hand me down) before they are really old enough to go on top. I plan to either buy an official trundle to go under the bottom on or just slide a mattress under there like a trundle would go. (I don't know if the bed we are getting has a way to attach a real trundle or if I'll just have to make something up) We will use that until they are old enough to use the top bunk and keep the trundle for sleepovers.
    So that is our plan!
    That sounds like a good plan. I am hesitant to buy a pricey bunk bed set b/c I don't know how well it will go over with DDs (not to mention the safety issues with the top bunk). Which is why I am open to the Kura Bed b/c it is relatively inexpensive and would probably work temporarily. I'm so confused....
    Mommy to Two DDs

We ended up buying this one for longer term use than the Kura bed. After seeing the Kura bed in person, DH felt that there wouldn't be enough space between a normal twin mattress on the floor and the bottom of the "top" bunk. DD2 would have outgrown sleeping on a mattress underneath the "top" bunk real fast.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20102451

It actually looks better to me in person, and the girls love it! They are both sleeping in their respective bunks happily!

And at $159, it's a bargain!
    Mommy to Two DDs

We have the IKEA Kura bed, and use it as a bunk bed. It's perfect for us!! I was a bit concerned about Littleman's readiness for a top bunk bed, since he was only 4 1/2- but he has done great. We bought the canopy that goes with the bed. We have a normal twin mattress on top (my old bed) and an IKEA foam mattress on the bottom. Mr. Sweetcheeks transitioned from his crib to the bottom mattress. I keep a sheet hung over the bottom portion to make a "fort" for him, and he LOVES it. They've both been very happy.

I like that it is lower than a standard bunk bed, wood, inexpensive yet fun, and we'll have the freedom to convert it to a canopied single bed should we wish to later on.

My only problem is that I suspect Littleman being on the top bunk might be contributing to the fact that he is still having to wear diapers at night. After all, it's hard enough for him to learn to wake to go to the bathroom, let alone having to negotiate a ladder to get there! I don't know, because it was a problem even before, when he slept on a mattress and box spring placed on the floor. We don't have space for two beds in there though, so the bunk bed arrangement will just have to do for now. All in all, it has been the perfect arrangement.
    Kit

Littleman 10/03, Mr. Sweetcheeks 08/05, Babyman 11/07