Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I imagine this would vary based on the ages of the kids. My little brother and I are about 2 years apart and shared everything, even clothes at times. If ours were 2 or so years apart I think everything would be shared except for the special things. With T being 5 and 1/2 when #2 is born and past 6 by the time little brother even knows with a toy is, I doubt much will be shared. No electricity experiment sets for 1 year olds, IYKWIM. And I doubt a nearly 7 year old T will pine away for push toys and super fat crayons (though I am sure their will be some jealousy). I have already started boxing up toys from T's tot hood with his help that he never plays with and telling him they will come out again in a few years when little brother is big enough for them. I am actually kind of concerned about keeping #2 safe from all the small parts and such in T's toys and also concerned about the new addition breaking delicate things.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kijip
    My little brother and I are about 2 years apart and shared everything, even clothes at times.
    When we were little,
    My mom took a picture of my brother (who is 6 yrs. younger) trying to hug me and you can see the back of his t-shirt. Right there on the back of the t-shirt, it says "Corie".
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Loveys aren't shared unless offered by the owner. Toys are shared communally for the most part. When they're new there is a honeymoon period as a PP said.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie
    When we were little,
    My mom took a picture of my brother (who is 6 yrs. younger) trying to hug me and you can see the back of his t-shirt. Right there on the back of the t-shirt, it says "Corie".
    We had drawers that were just our shared clothes at times, usually shared a room and usually we were wearing the same sizes, both jeans and t-shirts rough and tumble sorts.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Almost everything is shared, unless it's a favorite stuffed animal or it's not age-appropriate.
    Asianmommy

this is interesting to me because my bro and I were 2.5 years appart and the legos/knex/robots were his and the barbies/dolls/ponies were mine. We played with them together but they were very much ours. Thanks for the food for thought
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Basically communal. However, each child seems to have their favorite which we kind-of treat as if it were a lovey.

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's such a struggle for us. Ds is 4 yr older than Dd. I wish we had a playroom so everything had a more communal feel. We don't so most things are kept in 'his' room or 'her' room. We do have several things that I say "it belongs to ALL of us."

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Most toys are shared, loveys are not. The girls go to daycare and are used to sharing toys, so it wasn't a huge leap to do it at home too. Of course, we have our days, LOL.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Well for the most part it's all communal. Even things that are distinctly DS1's or DS'2 need to be shared. However, sleep items are not. DS1 has a very distinct elephant he sleeps with and DS2 knows it so we tell him it's not his to touch. Otherwise we buy 2 of everything. With us they are so close in age it's so hard not to have fighting if they don't share.

When b-days come around we allow the b-day boy some *mine* for a few days and then it's shared.
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast