Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Three across in what cars besides minivans? UPDATE!

I know there's been a thread about this before, and I know it got good responses. I just can't find it and the search option doesn't seem to want to work for me right now. If anyone can find the old thread and let me know it would be great. If not here's why I'm asking.

We went to kansas city over the weekend and when we got back to town and had just exited the highway for home our car overheated quite badly. The mechanic says we definatly busted our intake manifold and may have cracked our engine block. If the engine block is cracked we'll be looking for a new car.

I'm ok with getting a new minivan and so's dh. But I'm wondering about alternatives. Let's face it-minivan's aren't cheap and if there's a car out there that costs less and will hold up to the assault that 3 children can dish out then we'd like to look at them.

Please oh please does anyone know?

UPDATE***** Turs out it was just the intake manifold. So we won't be buying a new car any time soon. Just a $900 repair to the stupid van. The stupid 11 year old 190,000 miles on it minivan. I personally would have loved a new car but dh is probobly right that it was cheaper than buying a new one.
    Ratsnboogers!!
    Last edited by elaineandmichaelsmommy; 10-14-2008 at 04:06 PM.
    DD1 11/02
    DS 11/05
    and
    DD2 2/09

Well right now we are not getting a new car any time before summer '09. I have a Saturn Vue and will have 3 in a row in that car. I know it's possible and there will be no alternative, but I can't say first hand [yet] what it's like.

DH has the Prius and we have seen that it can hold 3 car seats, but his would be replaced before mine.

I'll be watching this thread.
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

I can't get the search to work either. I researched this a bit but we won't be buying another car until next year so I haven't decided for sure. Basically most people said it depends what type of carseats you have but you can fit 3 across in most midsize sedans. All the popular ones (camry, accord) were able to fit 3 across. You may have to replace your carseats if they are large, but that's much cheaper than buying a more expensive car. I think we will probably end up buying a Camry. The trunk space is great, it's reliable and good gas mileage.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Our 2005 Honda CR-V holds MA (either way), Radian65 FF, and RF MA. I can also rearrange the RF MA and Radian or replace either either seat on the side with a Snugride. The trunk will also hold a BJCED and Cameleon (and a little potty!)

We just spent a week in my mom's new Camry. Space between the 2 Marathons seemed tighter than in the CR-V, but I could be wrong. We didn't take our "friend" seat on vacation.

I know that using seatbelts to get 3 across gets you a little more room than LATCH. I think the 2008 CR-V has LATCH in all three spots in the backseat whereas the models before that, I believe only have it for the two outboard spots.

Sorry to hear about your car!

ETA: clarifying the camry info
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 10-13-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Depending on the seats I can squeeze 3 across in my dh's toyota corrolla but it is tight (I wouldn't want to do it everyday, only for an emergency)! My mom has a Camry and it is much easier to get them in, a realistic possibility.

Maybe this one? http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...hlight=vehicle
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have an 05 Accord, and so far I can't do it. We have an RA, an MA and a Baby Trend infant seat. I've seen pics of 3 across in many configs, but they mostly seem to involve at least 1 Radian. So we may have to buy that seat if we have another and temporarily put away the MA.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

ccather is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I did it in an '02 Chevy Malibu, which affectionately refer to as the "5lb bag"...as in "10lbs of poo in a 5lb bag!" We have a FF Radian, RF Marathon and a Parkway. I just bought another Radian for when we go FF with my littlest. The trunk has plenty of room for my Sit-n-stand stroller, when I decide to drag it out, and we've done Bj's runs in it. It's a tight fit, but we're all in there!

Only problem I have found with 3 across...the kids can get to each other too easily! They agitate the sweet bejeezus out of each other! And they drive me nuts in the progress!
    Chris.
    --
    DS 10/03
    DD 6/05
    DD 11/07

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ccather
    Only problem I have found with 3 across...the kids can get to each other too easily! They agitate the sweet bejeezus out of each other! And they drive me nuts in the progress!
    Yes, but...at the right time of day, I can get DD to hold DS's bottle and feed him while we drive Is that bad?

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow
    Yes, but...at the right time of day, I can get DD to hold DS's bottle and feed him while we drive Is that bad?
    No I would say that is a very wise use of child labor lol!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I have 3 in my Mailbu Maxx - a hatchback version of the Malibu.

I have a FF Britax Boulevard, a FF Radian, and KeyFit30. The Boulevard was RFing for a while, too. When DS2 moves up, he'll go into a Boulevard that we already have.

I don't find it too bad - DS1 is in the middle and he buckles himself in the RN and I just reach through the center to snug him up. He and DD definitely pick on each other. If I could put the baby in the middle, I would! I need another Radian to do that.

A big key for me was the Radian and Boulevard - they puzzle together nicely. I did have to buy the Radian and the Keyfit, but it was better than getting a new car!
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast