Default Halloween craft idea for 2nd grade class

I'm usually pretty good at coming up with this stuff, but this time I'm stumped. I'm looking for a good, quick (20 mins. or less) craft for my son's 2nd grade class to do at the class Halloween party. Last year, the kids decorated felt bat masks--they were really cute.

This year, I searched Familyfun.com and all of my favorite kid craft websites and didn't come up with anything much.

Maybe we could decorate those mini pumpkins? But I want to avoid paint since we don't have much time, and they're getting a little old for just sticking those foamies on.

Any ideas? Cost does matter. We can spend something but not a real fortune.

Thanks!
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

get mini pumpkins.... give them paper with 2 bat wings drawn on them to cut out (they could also color them in). tape a toothpick to each wing and insert on the side. Use marker to draw a face on (or just the mouth) and/or get googly eyes to glue on!

DONE!

Tondi,

Thanks! That's a cute idea. I could even draw the wings on "foamies" paper to make them a little more durable.

My only reservation is that I would want to build in opportunity for the kids to be creative (so they don't all make an identical project). We could do glitter glue in different colors for fun wings or maybe have some felt and yarn available for the face?

Anyway, this is definitely something to work with. Thanks!
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

Ha! I should have known to check in with you Lisa. No answers for you, just selfish questions for me. I am in charge of the craft for Alex's kindergarten Halloween party. Ideas????? You are so great at this stuff.
    Alaina (who has no shame about hijacking your post!)

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmintzer
    Tondi,

Thanks! That's a cute idea. I could even draw the wings on "foamies" paper to make them a little more durable.

My only reservation is that I would want to build in opportunity for the kids to be creative (so they don't all make an identical project). We could do glitter glue in different colors for fun wings or maybe have some felt and yarn available for the face?

Anyway, this is definitely something to work with. Thanks!
    You could have them stand barefoot on black foamy paper, trace their feet with a white crayon, they cut them out as wings for the bat.

Or you could to their hands. I used to love tracing my student's hands on white construction paper, they cut it out, turn it upside down and draw a ghost face on the wrist end of the palm. It is cute and easy.

BUT!!! My all-time super favorite Halloween craft is to do 'frightened' photos and stories. You take the kiddos one by one in the hallway and rub their hair with a blown up balloon until it stands up on end. For kids with long hair or kinky hair just get them to mess it up as much as possible. Then tell them to make a face like they are really, REALLY scared. (Think Home Alone hands to the face, pretend scream face) Have them stand in front of a piece of orange or black construction paper. Take a photo, and print it out. It is more fun if they are in color, but it works in B&W too.

For the spooky stories or scary stories I would have the kids brainstorm a word bank (list of theme based words) and we'd put it on the board for them to use in their stories. Let them have their photos to look at while they write, too. When they are done you can tape the photo to the top of the story. I usually put the B&W copy and a photo copy of the stories together in a classroom book and let the kids take home the originals.

This project usually turns out really well, and is a lot of fun and a great creative writing exercise.

Can you tell I CAN'T WAIT to be a room mom!!!!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Default Trivets?

For second grade this a bit easier than with my two, 3 and 5, but we still are going to do it this week as well as the tie dyes in Family Fun.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=129814

Paper mache pumpkins?

What about bringing a lot of orange stuff (foam, card stock, paper, tissue,...) and they are to make their own 3-d pumpkin and use their creativity?

Foam balls, black pipe cleaners, googley eyes... spiders? Could make a bat version too

Is there a group they could make something for? We always made lollypop ghosts with kleenex or fabic and yard or ribbon. Is there a younger grade they could make these for or for a classroom trick or treat?

Stamps to make greeting cards? Would want to supply envelopes too if they are odd shaped.

Did you see the ghost lumenaries (sp?) in Family Fun? They could supply gallons and make those.

We have a ghost we hang on our door that was from a craft fair, but you could make a 2nd grade version with white fabric, stuffing and black fabric paint, and a bit of ribbon. Use a safety pin on the back to hang in on a door like a weath.

Have fun! I'll be asking for ideas in the Spring when I get to do Art Friday with K.

Thanks! Those are great ideas. I may incorporate some of them and still offer the bat as a choice.

Alaina--I like the traced-hands bat for kindergarten-aged kids. You can buy your own supplies, or Oriental Trading Company has kits for a reasonable price.

Here's a link: http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...+Bat+Craft+Kit
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)