Default Special first birthday gift for dd?

My dh wants to get our daughter something "special" for her first birthday. He asked me if there was a traditional first birthday gift for a little girl (very sweet), but I had no idea. He is thinking jewelry... something she'd have later, not necessarily something she could wear at one.

Any ideas? For what it's worth, she has a small silver engraved locket and a little cross that she received as baptism gifts. I thought about doing either of those items in gold, but I don't want to one-up the grandparents that gave them. I was thinking of starting a charm bracelet, but other than that, I'm kind of lacking in ideas (very unlike me when it comes to jewelry!) I also thought about getting a charm for her for my bracelet or getting something made for her that I would wear now, but that might be a little selfish?

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I love the jewelry at www.chasingfireflies.com (like the "I believe in Fairies bracelet and the Goethe quote one). They are silver and hang on a ribbon. I would probably opt to buy from someone on Etsy...there are many people there that do stamped silver jewelry and you could come up with a custom piece with a quote that is meaningful to your family.

There are also those add-a-pearl each year of life necklaces.

eta: some from Chasing Fireflies:
    http://www.chasing-fireflies.com/pro...ber=23278&top=
    http://www.chasing-fireflies.com/pro...ber=23470&top=
    http://www.chasing-fireflies.com/pro...ber=24688&top=
    Last edited by brittone2; 10-27-2008 at 11:02 AM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would start her a charm bracelet

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

I think I would opt for either a charm bracelet or buy a single pearl. You could always buy a pearl every year and then she can turn it into a necklace one day.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

This isn't traditional, but one of my friends received a gold baby ring from a relative for her 1st b'day. Her Mom put it on her finger just once for a picture & then put it away. Later, when DF was approaching teenage years and wanted "real grown up" jewelry, Mom gave her a gold chain neckless with that baby ring on it. She loved it so much and wore it all through high school and I envyed it everyday. I ran into her last year and she still wears that same necklace with the tiny baby ring on it. I want one now all over again. It was just so pretty and an "unusual" charm for a necklace since it isn't meant to be one at all.

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like the charm bracelet idea. For a gift that truly is of lifetime value, your DH should open/add to her 529 college plan! That will end up being the most special gift of all . . .

When I googled charm bracelets, baby bracelets etc, I found the Pandora bracelets. Any opinions on those?

And, yes, we do have a college savings fund set up for her. To the poster who suggested that - you are right, that is the best gift!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was going to suggest an add-a-pearl necklace.
    DD has a white gold baby ring with her initial on it and has this jade bracelet. It is child size and adjustable. It came with a card that describes the meaning of the beads. Both have been put away for when she is older.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I like the charm bracelet idea.

What about pearl earings that can be put away and worn as an adult? You can get a good quality pair for not too much money.

If we go with a charm bracelet, should it be child size or adult size?