I swear, DS gets sick every time he comes in contact with his cousins. My sister is a grade school teacher and her kids are in daycare, so they're exposed to a lot of illnesses. Anyway, they always seem sick and DS will catch whatever they have even if it's just a 15 min visit. He wasn't sick at all for the first 2.5 years of his life when we lived out of state (and we had playdates every week). We love being by family, but this is one side effect that I could do without.

Anyway, he has a real gunky cough and even coughed up some green gobs of mucus, which he immediately swallowed (gross!). I can tell he needs to cough some stuff up, but his cough isn't that forceful. Given the ban on cold medicines for under 4yo, would you give mucinex (plain, no cough suppressent). I asked the pharmacist at Walmart and she said the ban was mostly b/c parents were getting dosing wrong and she gives it to her son. She didn't seem like the brightest person, so I'm not going to just take her advice. Any BTDT?