JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Timing ?'s re ADRs and rope drop

I'm tying to nail down some details as far as timing goes for our days. I've been obsessively reading stuff about touring plans. I really want to keep our time waiting in line as low as possible, b/c that is going to be a serious challenge with DS.

I know I want to start in Fantasyland, most likely with Dumbo, but the issue is with timing.

On the first full day of our trip, we have breakfast ADR's at Ohana's at 8:05. It's supposed to be a slower day for the MK, so we're good there, but everything I'm reading is advising being at the entrance 1/2 an hour + before rope drop, which isn't going to happen with that ADR.

If you had to guestimate, what time are we going to be able to be at the gate, and how bad of a position will it put us in? Will getting to Ohana's earlier help at all?
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Are you going at a slow time? If so, you will probably be seated right away (we were for all our ADRs on our trip last week, very low crowd levels). But even so, by the time you sit down, eat, see all the characters, and pay you are most likely looking at 45-60 minutes in the restaurant. Best case scenario for transport to the MK, you walk out and a monorail pulls up for you right away. Worst case, you wait 15 minutes for the next one.

I would guess that you're looking at walking into the MK at the earliest at 9:00 and more likely sometime between 9 and 9:30. But as long as you do Dumbo first, you're probably OK. If you get there after 9:15, you won't walk on, but you shouldn't have a 40 minutes wait either.

Getting there earlier may help. I would aim to be there at 7:45.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks, Beth. That doesn't sound too bad. We're leaving in 18 days, and we'll be at Ohana's on the 30th.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't remember when you are going, but if it isn't peak season, I think you'll be able to enjoy the parks a lot more than the touring plans make it seem. I *love* The Unofficial Guide, and we use it heavily, but we haven't missed out on anything just because we didn't follow it religiously or line up at the gate crazy early or anything.

It is hard to remember to slow down and enjoy, when the plans are ordering you to "go here, skip that, FastPass that, loop back around" but really, get caught up in the theming and the details and I promise you more magic than your family can absorb. Fantasyland will blow them away, but believe me, you are going to have trouble if you try to rush the gang down Main Street and past the castle without dallying. There is just so much to see.

One of the things we love to do to pass the time in the lines is search for Hidden Mickeys, or even just imagined ones. Also, keep pointing out the tiny details to DS to help keep his mind off any wait times. Playing "I Spy" might be good too. There is sooooooo much more to being at WDW than just the actual time on the rides!

ETA: you posted when you are going while I was posting. You will be there in busy season, but I still think it will be much easier than the books and websites can lead you to believe. Have fun!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You'll probably get there around 9:15-9:30, and the Dumbo line may be 30 minutes by then (that's usually the shortest we've seen it, even during the slow season), but the other Fantasyland lines should be just fine. Honestly, I'd try not to focus on riding Dumbo at all - DS1 has been on it once (four trips to WDW) and DS2 has been on it once (2 trips to WDW). Triceratop Spin at AK is almost exactly the same ride with virtually no lines. You don't want your DS to fall in love with Dumbo, or you'll spend a lot of time standing around in line so that he can ride it again and again!!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009