Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Random Smoke Alarm beeps...

Why do they always have to happen at 3 am and not at 10am??

That's all.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Murphy's Law.....a little OT, but remember the Friends episode when Phoebe's smoke alarm kept going off.....lol.....good times.

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Make sure the batteries are fresh. Did you remember to change them when Daylight Saving Time ended?
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Low battery?

A bit OT, but have I ever told you my CO detector story? DD#1's first Christmas. Just the three of us. I make the turkey, blah blah. Just as we go to sit down, the CO detector goes off and won't stop. We try airing out the place, but its still going off. I call the Fire Department, they come lights and sirens. They assured me they were happy to come, better safe than sorry. They tested and no CO. They leave, DH mocks me for the rest of the night....

Flash forward a few months. DH walks by the CO detector and farts. Same thing -- CO detector freaks out. Bing bing bing -- the lightbulb moment in my head. DH's farts are so toxic they are setting off the CO detector! Our CO detector is a multi-function one (detects CO and other gases).

So there you have it -- don't fart around the CO detector!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray
    So there you have it -- don't fart around the CO detector!

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the laugh Bubbaray! I needed it this morning.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That's when spiders are more active??

DH is a firefighter, and insists that random beeps that aren't fixed by replacing batteries are usually due to a bug crawling around in the detector, interrupting the infrared beam. This summer, I had an awful day where the detector was going off a LOT and I had to eventually move my conference call (with a very understanding client, lol) to the outside deck. Later that day, DH and I were in the upstairs hall talking about it, and a spider dropped out of the smoke detector. I smooshed him, and the random beeps ended.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

We did change the stinkin' batteries. It was even worse to have the dog jump on the bed and stand over me until I did something... which was kick him off the bed.

Don't fart around the CO detector. I like that. Sounds like something my DH would do.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think that means the batteries need changing. Oh, I see you said you changed the batteries. I lived in a house once that super high humidity made the fire alarms go off.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Just FYI, aside from replacing your batteries once a month. I believe they recommend that you replace your smoke detectors every 10 yrs. So, if you have one that keeps acting up, maybe it's time for a replacement.

BTW a neat tip that I use for our smoke detectors is that I put a sticker on each one with the date of when it was installed and then another sticker (which we replace each time we change the battery with the new date) for when we last changed the battery. This way, you can just look up at it and know when it should be replaced, etc. w/o having to open it up or freak out that maybe it's time for new batteries, but you don't remember when you last changed them.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast