I have a gifted 7 year old boy who reads far beyond grade level but who I don't want to expose to a lot of the 'older' kids books yet due to thematic issues and such. We are constantly looking for new/fun things for him to read. Recently we found a really fun short story that was at his level:
The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl (author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
My husband and I both enjoyed the story and the fun text! We also read sometime ago Kate DiCamillo's The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. This was a great book but thematically a bit much; I'd definitely recommend for the 11+ set.
We've also found Andrew Clement's school stories, which look like a good age-and-reading-level appropriate series of books. We read Frindle which he liked.
Among our favorite picture books (also have a 3 1/2 year old!) are:
- Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson (and all the others really, but this one is a gem)
- Moose Tracks (also Karma Wilson!)
- Dog's Colorful Day by Emma Dodd
- The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (one of the longer stories)
- The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss
- Duck on a Bike by David Shannon
- Muncha Muncha Muncha by Candace Fleming
And for those of you with boys...who can maybe read it without crying, which I can't!...you should check out a great picture book called Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. If nothing else I will give this book to my boys at some point later in their lives! Right now it has moved from the bookshelf to the closet as I just can't read the darn thing and not cry! But I'm the overly-emotional type!