Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JMS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Would you give your almost 5 year old a Halls cough drop?

It says for children 5 and older. She's 2 months shy. She's prone to lingering coughs. She had a mild cold/cough last week that went away and now just the cough is back - it's pretty bad. I thought about taking her in to the Ped but they are only there until noon. I called and the receptionist said they are packed. My DD says her chest doesn't hurt so I think I'd rather wait it out until Monday then risk sitting in the waiting room full of sick kids where she could pick up something worse.

WWYD? Oh, they have menthol in them.
    JMS
    Mommy to DD "HH" 2004
    and DS1 "MH" 2005
    & DS2 "JJH" - My very Irish baby!

stella is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

sure.
    I hope she feels better soon.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Nope. We just tried one with DS1, who is 4 months from age 5. He started choking on it and ended up coughing it up. I'll wait another year or so before trying again.
    Kris

JMS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm not so much worried about choking as having some sort of bad reaction to menthol. I'm still debating it and in the meantime, she's having a lollypop at 11am
    JMS
    Mommy to DD "HH" 2004
    and DS1 "MH" 2005
    & DS2 "JJH" - My very Irish baby!

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I probably would give it a try, but I just know that my DDs would spit it up and say it was "spicy" b/c of the menthol. I don't think they could handle the strong taste of a Halls menthol cough drop.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you aren't worried about choking, I'd just give a regular sucky candy (lollipop for example). The menthol won't help the cough any.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would if I thought they could handle the sucking candy aspect of it. I have given both my DDs cough drops before. Like a PP, I think both would say a strong menthol cough drop is "too spicy." Both girls like Ricola Honey-Herb Throat Drops when they have a bad cough or sore throat. These only have a small amt of menthol.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray
    If you aren't worried about choking, I'd just give a regular sucky candy (lollipop for example). The menthol won't help the cough any.
    Agreed. My doctor told me that cough drops basically just help lubricate the throat, so a regular candy works just as well. And they aren't spicy.
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I read somewhere that a spoonful of honey is very helpful for a cough and DDs been coughing quite a bit so we gave her some honey and it really did seem to help. Worth a try.

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendmatt
    I read somewhere that a spoonful of honey is very helpful for a cough and DDs been coughing quite a bit so we gave her some honey and it really did seem to help. Worth a try.
    Yup, we do that too. Older DD loves her "special drink" when she has a cough or sore throat. I heat up some water, stir in a bunch of honey until it dissolves and then add a couple glugs of lemon juice. Sort of like tea with lemon and honey but without the tea. She'll drink tea too, but likes this just fine so I skip the tea.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast