JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Winter blues remedies?

Can anyone recommend any supplements that help for winter blues? I just notice that I am so much more lethargic and have no energy. When I need to pick up dd from her afterschool program in the dark (5:30), I just want to be able to rest and really struggle to entertain her for the hours until her bedtime (and she has been more cranky this year, more likely from her adjustment to Kindergarten rather than the season). My mood is manageable (although definitely not where it is in the summer), but I just have no energy! I do get out for a walk almost everyday. Any suggestions?

Does vitamin D help? If so, how much should I take. Its usually very cloudy where I live at this time of the year on top of everything else...
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

mom2one is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Here are a few things that just popped into my head.

1- get a sun lamp, lack of sunlight can cause blues. My friend does "light therapy" everyday
    2- when was the last time you had your thyroid and iron levels checked. Both of those will cause you to have no energy
    3- Eat good food to help.

HTH in some way.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Vitamin D...through good foods (pastured dairy, pastured eggs and meat), Carlson's or Nordic Naturals cod liver oil, and daily sunlight.

That's what I do, but obviously this isn't medical advice

My friend who has similar problems goes and lies in a tanning bed twice a week. If you have the spare time and money go try it. She swears by it.
    DD1 11/02
    DS 11/05
    and
    DD2 2/09

I've recently read some research showing a correlation between low EHA/DHA levels and low energy/mood/blues, too.

You could get more from fish oils, along with D.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Seconding all the above advice, and just wanting to add about thyroid...this is the first winter that I've been on thyroid medication, and the first winter since moving to Quebec that I've not had trouble. It gets dark here - as in nighttime dark - at 4:30 from about Oct-Feb or so, and I've always wanted to lay down and go to bed right then and there; it felt so depressing to me to arrive home in the dark. Now, I feel fine. I also have much more energy throughout the day. Get your thyroid checked if you haven't recently.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Light therapy works wonders. DH uses it for 30 mins a day.
    Exercise is another key element. Increases the dopamine.
    If you get all the stuff checked out etc and everything else looks normal, then you should talk to your doctor about Wellbutrin--I have done that before with SAD and it was great.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Second the suggestion for light therapy, it works wonders for a friend