psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Combination for my 2yo, in Canada

DH was involved in an accident, and the carseat from his truck is being replaced by the insurance company. We'll buy first, they'll reimburse us.

What is the best combination seat to get for a long, thin but gaining fast FF 2yo, that is available in Canada right now?

We have an Evenflo Generations for DS1, which I think was the best choice for him, but which I don't think is best for DS2.

Thanks!

eta: I'm currently looking at the Safety 1st Prospect (available at Zellers for $112.49), the Safety 1st/Dorel Apex-65 (available at Sears or TRU for $179.99), and I'm hoping to find a Sunshine Kids Radian somewhere, although no luck so far.
    Last edited by psophia17; 12-20-2008 at 03:31 PM.
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Britax Frontier. It is has the highest top slots.

TJs sells the Radian and Canadian Tire used to as well, but not sure if they still do.

Sometime soon, we will have the Graco Nautilus, which for the $$ would be your best bet.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Looks like TRU will have the Nautilus sometime in March...I wonder if we can hold out that long with just the convertible we have in my car...(eta) and it appears that it's already at Walmart...I wish I'd thought to look last night when I was there...
    Last edited by psophia17; 12-20-2008 at 04:20 PM.
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

WHat convertible do you have for him and how does it fit?

Of the ones you listed, I'd go with the Generations, though it wouldn't be my first choice for a 2yo. Not very padded, very upright, etc..

BTW, nice to "see" you.
    Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

He's in an Evenflo Triumph at the moment, it's in my car and still in use. In DH's truck he had a Cosco Scenera. He's just barely not swimming with hip room in the Triumph, and is just shy of too tall for it (he's been at the top slots for 6mos or more). The Scenera was just barely getting snug, he's also in the top slots.

Right now for seats we have:
    1. Generations for DS1 (fits fine, PITA to buckle)
    2. backless booster for DS1 (spare)
    3. Triumph for DS2 (almost outgrown)

Maybe we should get DS1 a dedicated high back booster for daily use, keep the backless booster as his spare, use the Generations as DS2's spare, and get a cushy combination for DS2.

DS2 will likely stay harnessed for a while yet, he's so lean.
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

First off, sorry about the accident, hope your DH is OK (was trying to post earlier with 2 screaming banshees in my ear, not fun).

Hmmmm, I was gonna suggest the Scenara as a temporary seat.

You could try him in the TrueFit, its at Zellers -- though the top slots are lower than the RN. I"d try to keep your oldest harnessed for a good while yet. What is his weight, though -- the Generations has a 47lb weight limit on the harness, regardless of the strap height.

Is the Frontier in your budget? It has higher top slots than the RN.
    http://www.tjskids.com/cart.asp?whic...ize=&item=4874

The info on TJs site is US -- the harness only goes to 65lbs in Canada, then it converts to a booster. If your DS is FFg, I"d get a FR over a RN at this point. Or, wait for the GN, but March is a long ways away. And with all the crazy cold/ice/snow we have in the forecast (and STUPID Raincouver drivers with summer tires and the big-ol L or N stickers on their vehicles. You get my point. I'd have them both harnessed for as long as possible, especially right now.

TJs has the RN on sale:

http://www.tjskids.com/cart.asp?whic...ize=&item=3820

http://www.tjskids.com/cart.asp?whic...ize=&item=3326

There is no difference between the 2 seats for you -- the first comes with the infant padding, but you'd be removing that anyway (though maybe you could sell it??).

I also know a wonderful tech here locally, Nicole -- she goes by Quassee on Strollerswap and carseat.org. You could try posting over there too.
    Melissa

Now that I think about it, another option if your DS1 is approaching or over the harness weight limit for the Generations would be to give the Generations to your DS2 and use the Frontier for your DS1. When the Nautilus gets here get one of those for your DS2 and use the Generations for your DHs' vehicle for your DS2 and possibly a HBB or ??? for your DS1. Basically, 2 new seats for your primary vehicle (I assumed that was your vehicle) and try to use existing seats (subject to weight of children and top harness height) for your secondary vehicle (your DHs).

The Frontier is nice as it has SIP, which if you don't have side curtain airbags is a nice extra.
    Melissa

DH is mostly okay - he's still having whiplash issues and back pain, and being down a vehicle with the current weather conditions are not idea. He's been SAHP since September, so his has been the primary vehicle...

The stress is not doing anyone any good.

The Fronteir is almost definitely out of the budget - ICBC will be reimbursing us, but I think they'd balk, kwim?

DS1 was over the weight limit for harnessting in the Generations before he was 3yo, and is 57lbs now (has been for the past year, roughly, although he's been thinning out and getting taller). I don't think we can re-harness him at this point, well we can, but it'd be a wicked battle, and he's really good about his car behavior. I'd happily keep him in the Generations except that since I can barely buckle it, he definitely can't buckle it. But that's the least of our worries.

Back to seats, though - DS2 is too tall not to upgrade, so we definitely need at least one new seat.

I wonder - what about the Compass HBB for DS1, w/ the backless we already have as spare, the Generations as DS2's spare, and get him a Radian to use until he's big enough for the HBB?
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Petra -- good news! The Nautilus is actually in stores (BRU/TRU) back in Ontario. SHould be out our way in 2-3 weeks! IIRC, the retail is $229 Canadian, but it should go on sale AND it will be the last seat you need to buy as it converts to a HBB and a LBB.

Here is the thread:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=55634&page=2

HTH
    Melissa

Petra, FYI I just spoke with TJs and they are getting the Nautilus in about 3 weeks. BRU in Coquitlam (the big one by Ikea) just got them in today.
    Melissa