mecawa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default 2 carseats in one car question

This question may sound really strange but it is something that we're thinking about. For those of you with two children in carseats--where in the back seat do you have your carseats installed. Right now DD#1 (4 yrs) is forward facing behind the drivers seat in a Britax Decathalon. DD#2 is due in a month, we have a graco snugride and we'll be installing the base in the car within the next week or so. I was all set to install it in the middle seat (we have a Honda Pilot, btw) rear facing of course, just like we did when DD#1 was a baby. My DH thinks it is better to install the snugride base behind the passenger seat, he says it will be easier to load DD# 1 in on one side and DD#2 in on the other. I just felt it was safer for the baby to be in the middle seat, DD#1 was there until about 6 months ago when we had to move her seat and just never ended up moving it back. So I guess I'm looking for some advice on what is the safest setup? If it's all the same safety wise then what do you or did you find to be the easiest/ most convenient set up? Thanks!!!!

The standard advice is the least protected child in the safest spot in this case in the middle. In this case it is any child in a forward facing seat, so your older one. Put the infant seat on which ever side ends up being convenient for you.

Depends on your vehicle for how well you can install the two next to each other. You might end up with one one each side.

I had my two in the back of a Civic - FF Radian and a Graco SafeSeat. Not quite enough room plus hard to get a center install with the Radian, so I ended up with the Radian behind passenger and SafeSeat behind driver. I liked it because when I was by myself we'd all load from the driver's side. I'd keep the baby outside the car while my older child climbed in and over to his seat (he was 4 and can buckle himself in, not able to let out but I can reach back from teh driver's seat for that). Then I could load the infant seat. Also important because in our garage I only have access to the driver's side of the car.

Now we're in an Odyssey. RF Marathon is behind passenger (seats kind of towards middle) because that's where the path to the backseat is. My older one is too heavy for a LATCH install, so I need him behind the driver to not have the seatbelt blocking access to the third row.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In DH's car (large SUV), the infant seat is middle and the harnessed booster is behind the passenger seat.

In my car (small sedan), the infant seat is passenger side and the harnessed booster is driver's side. The backseat is too narrow to install two seats with one in the middle position. In order for the handle to be in the down position on the infant seat, I need to have the seat in front of it a bit more forward and upright than how I prefer my seat for driving, so passenger side it is. I am not sure if I will keep the same configuration when I switch DS to the RF convertible.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have an Odyssey with the second row passenger seat pushed towards the middle. When DD was in an infant seat, she was behind the driver and DS was in the passenger seat. When DD moved to a convertible seat RF we actually switched it around b/c more than one person drives the van and the drivers seat is constantly adjusted. So, then it was easier to have FF DS behind the driver and RF DD behind the passenger.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007